Biometric Student Identification

Peter Iles

Jan 24, 2023, 10:37:40 AM1/24/23
to WELSTech
We are researching biometric scanning to reduce time and money lost on student IDs. Does anyone else use biometric scanning? If so, what product and services do you use?

Thanks,

Wisconsin Lutheran High School

Peter Iles / Director of Technology
peter...@wlhs.org / (414) 453-4567 ext. 2005

Wisconsin Lutheran High School
330 N Glenview AveMilwaukee, WI 53213
www.wlhs.org

Mahnke, James

Jan 24, 2023, 11:28:01 AM1/24/23
to WELSTech

Peter (& others),

Luther High School, Onalaska WI has a similar question but from the standpoint that we will be implementing electronic payments for the first time next school year (currently using paper tickets).

What does your school currently use for lunch payments?

Our initial thoughts were to use student ID cards and stay away from any biometrics because it becomes a common touch surface for germs. Didn’t think about lost IDs and replacement costs.

Perhaps there is no perfect solution but knowing what most are doing would be helpful (pros/cons). Thanks.

James Mahnke

Luther High School

Peter Iles

Jan 24, 2023, 11:36:56 AM1/24/23
to Mahnke, James, WELSTech
Hitachi makes a contactless vein scanner...https://www.m2sys.com/hitachi-c1-contactless-finger-vein-scanner/

Unfortunately, that company charges $20,000 annually for their service. The scanner is only $150.

Wisconsin Lutheran High School

Peter Iles / Director of Technology
peter...@wlhs.org / (414) 453-4567 ext. 2005

Wisconsin Lutheran High School
330 N Glenview AveMilwaukee, WI 53213
www.wlhs.org

Joshua Schoeneck

Jan 24, 2023, 12:01:55 PM1/24/23
to Peter Iles, WELSTech
KML uses the M2SYS Hitachi H1 finger vein readers (https://www.m2sys.com/finger-vein-reader/) with M2SYS Bio-SnapOn software (https://www.m2sys.com/biosnapon/) for checkout in our cafeteria lunch line. We've used these readers for 5+ years and Bio-SnapOn for 12+, previously with the M2SYS fingerprint readers. The Bio-SnapOn software emulates keypresses so it integrates into other platforms without needing an API. We are investigating extending our use of these readers for some attendance purposes like student check-in / check-out.

One issue we have run into is that the scanners get registered to the computer hardware they are attached to and it can be difficult to move them to a different computer if needed.

There is also a backend database that runs that holds all the biometric data. Since the software is licensed by number of users, we do need to remove records for graduates, etc. each year. There is no quick interface to handle this and users must be removed one at a time.

Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School
Joshua J. Schoeneck
Director of Student Services, Director of Technology, Technology Instructor
Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School
262-677-4051 x4045
mobile: 262-225-7308
joshua.s...@kmlhs.org
Educating for Life and for Eternity
My Strengths: Learner - Achiever - Intellection - Ideation - Deliberative

Naomi Henkel

Jan 24, 2023, 12:09:32 PM1/24/23
to WELSTech, Mahnke, James
James Mahnke (and others) -- how do you collect your tuition?  Out here on the west coast, we utilize FACTS and their online payment system.  FACTS also offers an "incidental account" for hot lunch, field trips, lost books, yearbooks, etc.  Super easy to use (from my administrative end as well as for parents).

Naomi Henkel
Mount Calvary Lutheran
of Redding and Anderson, CA

Joshua Schoeneck

Jan 24, 2023, 12:19:48 PM1/24/23
to Naomi Henkel, WELSTech, Mahnke, James
KML uses Blackbaud Tuition Management (formerly Smart Tuition) for anything billed to a student's account (mainly tuition, fees, fines, etc.). Our food service is handled separately as we require students to have money deposited before purchasing breakfast or lunch. Deposits into the food service system can be by cash, check, or through a third-party online service called e-Funds for schools. The food service deposits are tracked in our SIS (PowerSchool) and we use PowerSchool as our point-of-sale system for our food service.

Peter Iles

Jan 24, 2023, 4:41:27 PM1/24/23
to Joshua Schoeneck, Naomi Henkel, WELSTech, Mahnke, James
Thanks for all the answers.

Wisconsin Lutheran High School

Peter Iles / Director of Technology
peter...@wlhs.org / (414) 453-4567 ext. 2005

Wisconsin Lutheran High School
330 N Glenview AveMilwaukee, WI 53213
www.wlhs.org

Mahnke, James

Jan 24, 2023, 4:43:26 PM1/24/23
to Peter Iles, Joshua Schoeneck, Naomi Henkel, WELSTech

Luther High School uses FACTS for tuition payments and annual fees.

To be determined what we use for lunch program.

James Mahnke

Luther High School

Image removed by sender. Wisconsin Lutheran High School

Thanks,

Image removed by sender. Wisconsin Lutheran High School

Peter Iles / Director of Technology
peter...@wlhs.org / (414) 453-4567 ext. 2005

Wisconsin Lutheran High School
330 N Glenview AveMilwaukee, WI 53213
www.wlhs.org

Image removed by sender. Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School

Joshua J. Schoeneck
Director of Student Services, Director of Technology, Technology Instructor

Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School

262-677-4051 x4045

mobile: 262-225-7308

joshua.s...@kmlhs.org

Image removed by sender. Educating for Life and for Eternity

My Strengths: Learner - Achiever - Intellection - Ideation - Deliberative