Video editing with Mac...

gpotratz

May 26, 2020, 9:32:18 PM5/26/20
to WELSTech
I’m looking for recommendations from people who are using MacBook Pro or iMac to do video editing. Interested in new models and looking for anyone that likes what they have found, or sees a reason to upgrade - 16 inch MBP??

Perry Lund

Jun 5, 2020, 4:24:42 PM6/5/20
to WELSTech
Hi Gail,

Sorry that I do not check this group often enough. I just upgraded to a MBP 16" and traded in my 2014 MBP Retina. Apple gave me $500 for my old one. I did a month of research thinking I might jump to other laptops. I no longer use FInal Cut Pro, but use simple stuff for teaching like Screencast-o-matic and the video editor in Microsoft Stream. I fire up iMovie once in a grat while. The other tool I used in 2018-19 was Camtasia on my Windows Surface Pro. I love the green screen feature and audio slicing and volume control over multiple video sources. The other software tool I used a lot with my MBP was Wirecast for streaming multiple video sources at sporting and concert events for Evergreen Lutheran. The webcam is still 720p as are almost every laptop from Dell, HP, Lenovo. Not sure why 1080p is off-limits for laptop makers. Ah well.

Not sure this helps, but the thermals on the MBP 16 are great. I went with base model and stuck with 500 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. The 6 core processor is much better than the old MBP. This is my first touchbar Mac and while people seem to not care much for it, there are use cases. I use 1Password and that works with the TouchID. I love that feature.

Gail Potratz

Jun 5, 2020, 4:52:17 PM6/5/20
to Perry Lund, WELSTech
Thanks so much, Perry. I appreciate your comments, especially in the second paragraph. You validated my thoughts as we just ordered the same machine yesterday! We did go with a few upgrades over the basic... wanting to make sure we are covered for some things we have in plan down the road. Always a guess, right? Again, much appreciated. And yes, I do not use the group much, and miss Google+.

Gail Potratz
Erate Coordinator - Emanuel Lutheran School
@gailpotratz