Does anyone use Excel for worship attendance tracking?

Michael Winter

Nov 18, 2019, 10:16:11 AM11/18/19
to WELSTech

Hello!

I am looking to see if you have (or know of any individual congregations that may have) a home-grown MS Excel spreadsheet that can be used to track church attendance.  Specifically, I am looking for something that can generate reports for members that are absent from worship for periods of 4, 8, 12, etc.… weeks at a time.  I may possibly be able to create this myself given enough time to research and experiment, but thought I would check with this group first to hopefully avoid re-inventing the wheel.

I know there is church management software packages available, but those costs may be prohibitive for us and probably overkill for our needs right now.

Thank you much for any help you may be able to provide.

Mike Winter

Peace, Loves Park, IL

Church Secretary

Feb 15, 2020, 9:11:27 AM2/15/20
to WELSTech
I would suggest to search online.   There are attendance tracker templates for employees that could be modified to meet your criteria.  Here is a link to such an example:  https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/attendance-record.html.  Although this one seems basic perhaps there are more with your specifications out there for you to download and utilize.

Pastor Guenther

Feb 15, 2020, 2:07:25 PM2/15/20
to Church Secretary, WELSTech
I use a Google Sheet spreadsheet (basically Excel, but accessible with a secure password from anywhere, not a localized computer). I set up formulas to highlight who's been in attendance at what percentage and put them in categories (0% in a year is dark red, once to 25% is red, 25% to 50% is orange, 50% to 75% is yellow, and 75% or better is green.) Our elders get a printout each month putting everyone in four columns and focuses our attention on who needs encouragement.

We're currently going after the 0% and recommending releases if we can't get in touch with them after several attempts (we're using BeenVerified.com to try to track them down). But after that, our goal is to move everyone (but "green") up one level. See if we can get the red to become orange, the orange to become yellow, and the yellow to become green.

Happy to share with you what I have privately. I'll share it view only, but then you can make a copy and put in your own names using mine as a template. Also happy to help you tweak formulas if you share access of your copy with me. Email me at pastorg...@gmail.com if you're interested. Blessings on your efforts!

In Christ,
Pastor Rob Guenther
(507) 240-2433 (Call or Text)

St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, New Ulm, MN

LJ

Feb 15, 2020, 2:54:49 PM2/15/20
to Pastor Guenther, Church Secretary, WELSTech
I will echo this response.

For 10+ years have been using a Google Form for easy data entry ( usually from my iPhone, mid-service ), and it injects the data into a Google Sheet.   ( in the last few years, MS has tried hard to catch up with MS Forms and Excel online via 0365... but I still believe Google has the advantage).  And any cloud solution means you can share realtime ( and read-only) views/copies of the data with appropriate persons ( pastors, outreach committees, etc ).

We've never had the need to add formulas like Pastor Rob has suggested, but seems like an easy addition, to highlight where effort is needed.
Lastly, same offer... if you'd like to privately see a copy of our small group's Forms or Sheets, could send you a couple links, feel free to reply.