Back to church?

Sallie Draper

May 7, 2020, 8:32:13 AM5/7/20
to WELSTech

Good morning WELSTech-ers –

I hope everyone is healthy and enjoying a the onset of Spring. In Wisconsin we are looking forward to the Safer at Home restrictions being lifted at some point (May 26 is our current date). Are restrictions being lifted in your location?

I’m curious about your congregation’s plans/considerations as you prepare to open back up. Specifically, what will be different about church as you re-open and how do you envision using technology as you move forward? If you have plans, would you be willing to share them here so others can benefit?

God’s blessings!

Sallie Draper

Systems Analyst, Technology

sallie...@wels.net

phone:  414-256-3216

Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod • www.wels.net

N16W23377 Stone Ridge Drive, Waukesha, WI 53188-1108

This electronic communication, including any attached documents, may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information that is intended only for use by the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the communication and any attachments.

Sallie Draper

May 7, 2020, 10:56:28 AM5/7/20
to WELSTech

All –

Pastor Keith Schleis responded to me directly and agreed I could share here. His congregation in Abiding Faith in Smyrna, TN seems to have set up a lot of great protocols which may be of interest. Perhaps best read from the bottom up …

May 7, 2020, 2:32:25 PM5/7/20
to Sallie Draper, WELSTech
This is a very fluid list. A couple items changed today. Church leaders will meet next week to work out more details. This information was sent to members this week.

Below you will find some bullet points that currently summarize our thoughts, but these are subject to change.

  • We'll restart worship on Sunday, May 24th.
  • There will be 4 total services each weekend. 3 on Sunday, and 1 on Monday night.
  • The Sunday services will be at 8, 9:30, and 11am. The Monday service will be at 7pm.
  • In order to maintain social distancing, we will possibly have sign up forms for all of the services.
  • We'll be blocking off every other pew.
  • No hymnals; all the words will be in the bulletin
  • No ushers or greeters
  • Mask wearing at the discretion of each person
  • Limited singing
  • We'll sanitize after each service.
  • The services will probably be about 35-50 minutes long.
  • We'll stick to the regular schedule for communion (the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month). We've discussed how to do this in a safe way.
  • We'll probably continue to tape the service during the week for those who don't feel comfortable going into public or who are in the vulnerable categories.
  • If you are in one of the vulnerable categories, use common sense and your own discretion in choosing whether or not to come to public worship.
  • The pastors will continue to offer private communion throughout the week. Call to set that up.

Cindy Krueger,
Shepherd of the Hills, Lansing

The Lord stood by me and strengthened me
2 Timothy 4:17a

Sallie Draper

May 7, 2020, 4:36:22 PM5/7/20
to WELSTech

Thanks to all who have replied! I also heard from Pastor Rob Guenther at St John in New Ulm, MN, and I have his permission to share here …

May 11, 2020, 8:07:23 AM5/11/20
to WELSTech

All –

Thanks to Pastor Emile Burgess from Crown of Life in West St Paul and Eagen, MN who shared a link to their work-in-progress restarting worship planning document.

On May 7, 2020, at 12:28 PM, Emile Burgess <emi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Sallie,

Here’s ours. It is a working document and we have not publicly shared the plan with our congregation as of yet—only that we have a plan. We have also not sent out the congregational “comfort-level" survey either and it too is a work in progress.

(We are a dual-campus congregation of ~1100 souls with a 170-student school.)

Emile