Preferred Managed Switches

Allen Mundt

Jul 14, 2021, 9:39:06 AM7/14/21
to WELSTech
What are your preferred brands of managed switches that support VLANs, fiber SFPs, etc.?
This is a pretty big facility.

Thank you,

Al

Sean

Jul 14, 2021, 11:01:50 AM7/14/21
to Allen Mundt, WELSTech
Hi Allen,,

I'm a Systems Engineer for an ISP/Telcom and I've worked on Cisco, Juniper, HP, Mikrotik, Ubiquity, misc "prosumer" manufacturers like D-Link, Netgear and others.

IMHO, you will find your best bang for your buck using Mikrotik. Mikrotik has a ton of switches from simple desktop models to 10G fiber agg switches, I use them all in various projects and initiatives. An 24 port non-poe Juniper EX3300/3400 can be had for around $1300 when a comparable Mikrotik is around $250-300. Juniper 10G Agg switch is maybe $6k and a Mikrotik will run around $500 and a ton quieter.

The biggest draw back for us is that the Mikrotik does not support just Radius authentication. It requires we use MSCHAP or a AAA method that requires we store password in plain text. It does not support TACACS either. And when dealing with dot1x, it does not support multiple supplicants... Everything we use is AC fed too,, I don't think there are any 56v DC models. There may be other features that you need but the price point is right to buy one and test it.

-Sean