Mosquitos at SHE!!

Michelle Olsen

Aug 11, 2015, 10:34:22 AM8/11/15
to Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, jenn...@hotmail.com, pres...@sagamorehillspta.org, trea...@sagamorehillspta.org, Michelle Olsen

Hi All!

We are elated to be back at Sagamore after two years at GLOBE.  While at GLOBE I secured the pro bono mosquito services of Mr. Mosquito.  Mr. Mosquito treated for mosquitos once a month during mosquito season – for free!  In exchange for their service, GLOBE acknowledged their services to parents.  This was a win-win as Mr. Mosquito earned residential business from parents and the school kept children safe from mosquitos.

Our girls came home yesterday covered with mosquito bites.  There has been a very recent West Niles case in Atlanta – just saw it in the news.

Mr. Mosquito will treat on the weekends and are available to treat this weekend.  Please advise who would be the person to put in touch with Jason Smith?

As a side note, Mr. Mosquito will participate in school functions – I think they have a blow up mosquito (ewe) and other items that will help with creating a fun way of teaching about the importance of protecting against mosquitos.  They are committed to being an active school sponsor.

Look forward to hearing from one of you!

Much thanks,

Michelle Olsen

Momma to Christine and Catherine in 4th grade

404.307.5030

Michelle Olsen

Aug 11, 2015, 11:20:30 AM8/11/15
to Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, <jennjudy@hotmail.com>, <president@sagamorehillspta.org>, <treasurer@sagamorehillspta.org>
PS- Mr. Mosquito partners with other schools in addition to GLOBE- Morningside, Nancy Creek Park, Epstein and more.

Thanks!

Michelle

trea...@sagamorehillspta.org

Aug 11, 2015, 11:49:22 AM8/11/15
to Michelle Olsen, Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, <jennjudy@hotmail.com>, <president@sagamorehillspta.org>
Michelle,

We are excited to have the Olsen family at Sagamore.

I sent a not to Dr Montello to make sure there aren't any county rules of engagement with this just to make sure.

I'll let you know ASAP. This new PTA board is trying to finalize our committee leaders right now and our head of grounds is rolling off and so we are in transition for a moment.

I appreciate your sense of urgency too given the news concerns and trying to take advantage of our upcoming grounds day additional services for this weekend.

What a wonderful lead you have given us and we look forward to tapping into more of your knowledge/experience.

Thanks again,

Michelle

--
Michelle Shevlin
Treasurer, 2015-2017

Adrienne Strohl

Aug 11, 2015, 2:54:35 PM8/11/15
to trea...@sagamorehillspta.org, Michelle Olsen, Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, <jennjudy@hotmail.com>, <president@sagamorehillspta.org>
Michelle,
Jason says he already has an appointment with you this week.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://sagamorehillspta.org/board
---

Adrienne Strohl

Aug 11, 2015, 2:54:35 PM8/11/15
to brill...@yahoo.com, trea...@sagamorehillspta.org, Michelle Olsen, Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, <jennjudy@hotmail.com>, <president@sagamorehillspta.org>
Just wanted to confirm with you so that we don't have multiple people trying to contact the same person.

Sent from my iPhone

trea...@sagamorehillspta.org

Aug 11, 2015, 2:54:35 PM8/11/15
to Michelle Olsen, Adrienne Strohl, Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, <jennjudy@hotmail.com>, <president@sagamorehillspta.org>
Thanks everyone.

We can get in touch with Jason once I here back from Mrs Taylor who has told me she is checking with the county.

Appreciate the lead Michelle Olsen.

I'll take the ball from here and check back in.

Michelle

--
Michelle Shevlin
Treasurer, 2015-2017
PTA at Sagamore Hills Elementary School

On Aug 11, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Michelle Olsen <the.o...@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Adrienne!

Not sure if you mean Shevlin or me! ;)  I don't have an appointment with Jason as I told him the SHE contact info would be forthcoming. If you need my help I'm ready to jump in. He did say he could treat the school this weekend if this is something we agree to pursue.

Jason Smith's # is - (770) 722-1155

(The other) Michelle ;)

Michelle Olsen

Michelle Olsen

Aug 27, 2015, 4:28:47 PM8/27/15
to Michelle Shevlin as Treasurer of PTA at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, Dan Acker, Building & Grounds group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, PTA Board group at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, Jen Judy Ranero, Kristie McMahan as President of PTA at Sagamore Hills Elementary School, Julie Taylor
Thanks, Michelle!

I spoke with Ms. Taylor this morning and she shared she's waiting to hear back from the County.

As an FYI, GLOBE has a fabulous monarch butterfly garden which has had great success with the monarchs- the entire process with no disruption or absence! Their habitat has not been compromised. We advised Jason where not to treat and he was compliant!

On a personal note, we have not had any noticeable disruption in our yard from mosquito abatement with the exception of no mosquitoes! We still have butterflies, birds, plenty of insects and wildlife.

West Nile is, however, of great concern. The opportunity to mitigate this for our children at no cost is a hopeful solution!

Thanks!

Michelle

On Aug 27, 2015, at 4:16 PM, Michelle Shevlin as Treasurer of PTA at Sagamore Hills Elementary School <trea...@sagamorehillspta.org> wrote:

Michelle,

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  We have been doing a little research and gathering feedback from the community.

Our parent in charge of building and grounds, Dan Acker, had a conversation with Jason Smith' from Mister Mosquito. He is going to set up a time with him in the next couple days just to walk the school grounds. He told Dan that most often times is just a matter of getting rid of excessive weeds and foliage. He's willing to consult and help us for free. After Dan's meeting at the school he will let us know what he suggests.

Our main concern with spraying is it's effect on other insects.  One of our retired teachers and current volunteer has been teaching the butterfly unit at Sagamore for many years. (Specifically Monarch butterflies.) We consulted her to get her opinion on the mosquito spraying. Her concern is that it will kill the mosquitoes, butterflies (ALL the butterflies!), eggs, caterpillars, dragonflies, moths--ALL insects! Second grade (all 3 classes) is currently studying butterflies, monarchs, swallowtails, fritillaries.  We have already gotten feedback that 2nd grade has yet to find any monarch eggs or caterpillars yet. If they don't show up this year, it will be the first time in 14 years.

Once Dan talks to Jason, he will let us know the recommendation as well as feedback from him about concerns over spraying and the effects on the rest of the environment.

Thanks again for providing this resource to us Michelle.

Our plan of attack will initially be at cutting back the excess weeds and foliage.

Michelle