Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join in

Dan Acker

Aug 17, 2015, 9:02:38 PM8/17/15
to Building and Grounds discussion at Sagamore Hills Elementary
Thank you to Rhonda and Christie for the warm welcome last Saturday at our grounds day.  I'm Dan Acker and my daughter Lauren is a 3rd grader at Sagamore Hills. I have helped out with grounds for the last two years and recently contacted Jen Rannero to let her know that I would volunteer to spearhead Building and Grounds, if you need someone.

I saw the list Dave posted in the previous thread and would be happy to organize how we can get cracking on it.  So, how can I help with:

1. The playground mulch issue
2. Coach and Mrs. Patterson's list
3. Anything else

Principle Taylor asked me to look into a lid for the Aquaponics tank in the school hallway. I built one this past weekend and will deliver it Tuesday the 18th.  If it ends up that we need something else, we can investigate that down the road. Wouldn't offend me if we did need something else.

I brokered a deal last Spring with Iron Fence Company to install a wrought iron fence to close off the courtyard from vandals. The gate is to be 6' high with a double swinging set of doors. The plan has been delayed because the county had to be contacted about the width of each bar in the fence. Principle Taylor has not heard back from the county so I am going to ask if I can step in to help. She has enough things on her plate.

I was asked by Mrs. Quinn to install rain barrels at the gutters. We only have 2 rain barrels and I want to talk with her about the feasibility. I have 2 rain barrels myself at my house and before I go through the effort to install them, I would like her to know what rain barrels can and cannot do.

I have one more planter box to build in the front of the school. Might do that this weekend.

A while back Mrs. Quinn tossed around the idea of an "ADA" style raised flower bed for wheelchair ambulating students. Its currently just a concept but a neat one at that.

Let me know how I can help. I appreciate all that the Sagamore community has contributed to my daughters well being and I would love to give back as well.

Dan