Improving the code speed of Java applications on RV64G platform

68 views
Skip to first unread message

Wei Wu (吴伟)

unread,
Oct 21, 2020, 7:59:49 AM10/21/20
to RISC-V SW Dev
Hi all,

FYI the PLCT lab is working on OpenJDK porting on RV64G now. We are at the very beginning[0], with one full time staff on it. The Zero backend provides a very good standing point for us, and we believe the JVM should speed up more than 100x on RV64 hardware to make big changes happen, like running hadoop and/or other industrial open source suites in the HPC/server area.

The PLCT is fully open to collaboration on the RISC-V ecosystem. If anyone are already working on porting Java JIT for RV64, please let me know. We are glad to unite or join as one open source group, just like what we do in the V8 RISC-V porting efforts[1].

Looking forward to meeting you!

[0] there is no workable patch set ready yet; we wrote a few analysis reports and did some benchmarking for all open source RISC-V porting work.

--
Best wishes,
Wei Wu (吴伟)

Khem Raj

unread,
Oct 21, 2020, 10:26:55 PM10/21/20
to Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev
this look cool. Do you have plans to upstream this into v8 ? secondly
perhaps also hosting it on github.com/riscv until then might be
good too.

>
> --
> Best wishes,
> Wei Wu (吴伟)
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RISC-V SW Dev" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sw-dev+un...@groups.riscv.org.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/d/msgid/sw-dev/CANkjrB5gR25SCyC2T2SzkOQXApHB%3D4iOVBN_EkjUerNTDNsnTg%40mail.gmail.com.

Wei Wu (吴伟)

unread,
Oct 22, 2020, 12:48:50 AM10/22/20
to Khem Raj, RISC-V SW Dev
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Khem Raj <raj....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 4:59 AM Wei Wu (吴伟) <lazyp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> FYI the PLCT lab is working on OpenJDK porting on RV64G now. We are at the very beginning[0], with one full time staff on it. The Zero backend provides a very good standing point for us, and we believe the JVM should speed up more than 100x on RV64 hardware to make big changes happen, like running hadoop and/or other industrial open source suites in the HPC/server area.
>
> The PLCT is fully open to collaboration on the RISC-V ecosystem. If anyone are already working on porting Java JIT for RV64, please let me know. We are glad to unite or join as one open source group, just like what we do in the V8 RISC-V porting efforts[1].
>
> Looking forward to meeting you!
>
> [0] there is no workable patch set ready yet; we wrote a few analysis reports and did some benchmarking for all open source RISC-V porting work.
> [1] github.com/v8-riscv/v8

this look cool. Do you have plans to upstream this into v8 ? secondly
perhaps also hosting it on github.com/riscv until then might be
good too.

Yes we are trying to v8 upstream. Our community lead Peng Wu
has talked with the Google V8 team (upstream) and they are glad
to accept RISC-V porting. There are still some work to do, to make
sure that the RISC-V backend can be build and test in the upstream
CI/CD infrastructure.

Hosting on github.com/riscv is a good idea to me. I did not realize that
we can create repos in the riscv group. I would like to have a try later.
 

>
> --
> Best wishes,
> Wei Wu (吴伟)
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RISC-V SW Dev" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sw-dev+un...@groups.riscv.org.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/d/msgid/sw-dev/CANkjrB5gR25SCyC2T2SzkOQXApHB%3D4iOVBN_EkjUerNTDNsnTg%40mail.gmail.com.

Sean Halle

unread,
Oct 28, 2020, 4:13:54 AM10/28/20
to Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev

Thanks for the note Wei.  There was an initiative at Berkeley to port OpenJDK to RISC-V, and we took that up at Intensivate for a brief time, but ultimately the complexity of the code caused us to turn instead to OpenJ9, which has a significantly simpler structure.  OpenJ9 uses the OMR JIT.  That JIT has already been ported to RISC-V, and is in the final stages.  The current effort is to connect OMR with the rest of OpenJ9.
Cheng Jin is leading the port of OpenJ9 to RISC-V https://github.com/ChengJin01
And Jan Vrany, (in collaboration with Boris Shingarov) is doing the bulk of the work on OMR JIT.  https://github.com/eclipse/omr

If interested in working together with them, I can provide introductions.

Thanks Wei,

Sean



On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 4:59 AM Wei Wu (吴伟) <lazyp...@gmail.com> wrote:
--

Wei Wu (吴伟)

unread,
Oct 28, 2020, 11:59:48 AM10/28/20
to Sean Halle, RISC-V SW Dev, din...@iscas.ac.cn
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 4:13 PM Sean Halle <sean...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the note Wei.  There was an initiative at Berkeley to port OpenJDK to RISC-V, and we took that up at Intensivate for a brief time, but ultimately the complexity of the code caused us to turn instead to OpenJ9, which has a significantly simpler structure.  OpenJ9 uses the OMR JIT.  That JIT has already been ported to RISC-V, and is in the final stages.  The current effort is to connect OMR with the rest of OpenJ9.
Cheng Jin is leading the port of OpenJ9 to RISC-V https://github.com/ChengJin01
And Jan Vrany, (in collaboration with Boris Shingarov) is doing the bulk of the work on OMR JIT.  https://github.com/eclipse/omr

If interested in working together with them, I can provide introductions.

Hi Sean,

Big thanks for letting me know this. It is very much appreciated. Definitely we are glad to work together as one open source community.

Dingli Zhang is my colleague from the PLCT Lab who is working on OpenJDK porting (I added him in the CC). He is now full time on this project.
 

Thanks Wei,

Sean



On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 4:59 AM Wei Wu (吴伟) <lazyp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

FYI the PLCT lab is working on OpenJDK porting on RV64G now. We are at the very beginning[0], with one full time staff on it. The Zero backend provides a very good standing point for us, and we believe the JVM should speed up more than 100x on RV64 hardware to make big changes happen, like running hadoop and/or other industrial open source suites in the HPC/server area.

The PLCT is fully open to collaboration on the RISC-V ecosystem. If anyone are already working on porting Java JIT for RV64, please let me know. We are glad to unite or join as one open source group, just like what we do in the V8 RISC-V porting efforts[1].

Looking forward to meeting you!

[0] there is no workable patch set ready yet; we wrote a few analysis reports and did some benchmarking for all open source RISC-V porting work.

--
Best wishes,
Wei Wu (吴伟)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RISC-V SW Dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sw-dev+un...@groups.riscv.org.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/d/msgid/sw-dev/CANkjrB5gR25SCyC2T2SzkOQXApHB%3D4iOVBN_EkjUerNTDNsnTg%40mail.gmail.com.

Sean Halle

unread,
Oct 29, 2020, 4:51:58 PM10/29/20
to Wei Wu (吴伟), Alexey Baturo, RISC-V SW Dev, din...@iscas.ac.cn

Hi Dingli,

Good to meet you.  Would be happy to share the OpenJDK repos we have set up -- there are 9 of them altogether.  I have included Alexey Baturo on the thread.  He was lead on the short-lived OpenJDK work, and may have some time to share their experience with the code base.

In addition, do you have any interest in taking a look at OpenJ9, which is IBM's flagship Java distribution, for their Enterprise platform?

Best,

Sean

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages