Query about kerenl installation

KN Ganendra Murthy

Dec 7, 2021, 5:13:31 AM12/7/21
to RISC-V SW Dev
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install Linux 4.X kernel on ubuntu 21.04 RISCV OS but I'm failing to do so. Is there any possible way to build older linux kernel versions from scratch.Can someone help me resolving these issues.Error details are given below. Please advise me, How I can resolve this issue.

E:Unable to locate package linux-image-4.10.0-27-generic
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.10.0-27-generic'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.10.0-27-generic

Tommy Murphy

Dec 7, 2021, 7:20:51 AM12/7/21
to KN Ganendra Murthy, RISC-V SW Dev
Isn't this really a question for the Ubuntu (RISC-V) maintainers?

Jim Wilson

Dec 7, 2021, 1:20:00 PM12/7/21
On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 2:13 AM KN Ganendra Murthy <knganen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to install Linux 4.X kernel on ubuntu 21.04 RISCV OS but I'm failing to do so. Is there any possible way to build older linux kernel versions from scratch.Can someone help me resolving these issues.Error details are given below. Please advise me, How I can resolve this issue.
E:Unable to locate package linux-image-4.10.0-27-generic

Keep in mind that RISC-V is still a new architecture, with limited history, and lots of stuff is still changing in occasionally incompatible ways.  I doubt that anything before 4.15 would work, and while this kernel works, it is known to have significant bugs.  You need something around 5.8 at least, maybe 5.10, to have a stable system.  While you can probably find old RISC-V linux releases that support a 4.x kernel, they probably won't work with a distro built for a 5.x kernel.  A lot of stuff has changed, the bootloaders (bbl versus u-boot/opensbi), the syntax and structure of the DTS file, the set of system calls officially and unofficially supported, the vdsos supported, the hardware/errata supported, etc.  If you really need a 4.x kernel, then you will need to look for an old and unsupported RISC-V linux distro, and accept that it is too broken for production work.  Maybe something like this from 2018
I don't know of any Ubuntu releases old enough to have a 4.x kernel.  Fedora was one of the first ones to get working RISC-V support.  Debian was also early, and might also have old obsolete broken images with a 4.x kernel, but I don't know where to find them offhand.

ARM and x86 are 30+ years old.  Give us another 10 years or so, and we will have a software environment as stable as them, that allows changing linux kernel versions.

Jim