The (first) RISC-V Lab will continue to provide HiFive Unmatched board access for running CI for open source communities

Wei Wu (吴伟)

Jan 22, 2022, 10:07:12 AM1/22/22
to RISC-V SW Dev
Hi all,

Just a quick response to the message[1]. The RVI and ISCAS (Institute
of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences)[2] are building the first
RISC-V Lab for the RISC-V community. We are going to provide ssh
access to almost all RISC-V development boards that we can acquire.
The PLCT Lab (part of ISCAS) has managed to get ≥110 Unmatched boards
in the last year, and we are ordering an extra one hundred Unmatched
boards on the way. We were planning to put ~500 HiFive Unmatched
boards in the (first) RISC-V Lab[3].

Although the cancellation of further builds of Unmatched boards may
cut the total capacity of Unmatched down to ~200, We're still
optimistic that we can serve all the communities which need to run CI
on Unmatched. Besides, the RISC-V Lab is also providing hundreds of
Nezha D1 boards and QEMU VMs with more than 2k vcores.

Currently the RISC-V Lab is under beta testing and has already served
10+ open source communities. If you are porting open source projects
for RISC-V, or want to try CI/CD on RISC-V platform, feel free send a
PR with your GitHub ID to [4].

[1] https://forums.sifive.com/t/sifive-update-on-hifive-unmatched-boards-in-2022/5569
[2] RVI is the abbreviation of RISC-V International. ISCAS is a
premier member of RVI.
[3] The definition of RISC-V Lab is still under development.
[4] https://github.com/plctlab/riscv-lab-access

--
Best wishes,
Wei Wu (吴伟)

Andrew Waterman

Jan 23, 2022, 5:46:44 AM1/23/22
to Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev
RISC-V was created at UC Berkeley in the Par Lab and ASPIRE Lab.  As much as I like what you're doing, calling yourself the "(first) RISC-V Lab" is extremely misleading, and you should stop doing it.

merle w

Jan 23, 2022, 6:19:22 AM1/23/22
to Andrew Waterman, Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev
This is an inaccurate wording here. The lab here means to provide an
experimental environment, not to grab honor from UC Berkeley

Regards,
merle w

Andrew Waterman <and...@sifive.com> 于2022年1月23日周日 18:46写道:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/d/msgid/sw-dev/CA%2B%2B6G0A5-VqGHck3FV4sn8AC77VD6xmsU-YVaq3cTM%2BWsFjd7w%40mail.gmail.com.

Andrew Waterman

Jan 23, 2022, 6:37:28 AM1/23/22
to merle w, Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev
On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 3:19 AM merle w <merl...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is an inaccurate wording here. The lab here means to provide an
experimental environment, not to grab honor from UC Berkeley

I do believe that is the lab's intent, but the lab needs to avoid this sort of dishonest branding.

Wei Wu (吴伟)

Jan 23, 2022, 6:40:00 AM1/23/22
to Andrew Waterman, RISC-V SW Dev, merle w
Hi Andrew,

Oops, sorry if my previous mail was confusing or misleading. As merle
pointed out, I did not mean to grab honer form UC Berkeley.

The term "RISC-V Lab" is used as a program brand by RVI that provide
RISC-V hardware farm for both open source communities and RVI members.

There are going to be many RISC-V Labs, so I used the word "first" to
avoid misleading the publicity that we are the only one. But
apparently I was wrong on the other side :(

Thank you for pointing that out. I'll avoid use the term 'first' in future.

Andrew Waterman

Jan 23, 2022, 7:20:36 AM1/23/22
to Wei Wu (吴伟), RISC-V SW Dev, merle w
On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 3:39 AM Wei Wu (吴伟) <lazyp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Oops, sorry if my previous mail was confusing or misleading. As merle
pointed out, I did not mean to grab honer form UC Berkeley.

I accept your apology.  Please continue to do great work!