Latest RISC-V tools

Ciaran Lappin

Jun 7, 2024, 11:32:44 AM (13 days ago) Jun 7
to RISC-V SW Dev
Hi All,

It has been a while since I was last playing with the risc-v toolschain. Am I right in thinking that the Rocket-chip (rocket-tools) repo is no longer being maintained, and that the I should be using the RISC-V Collab toolchain instead?
I am mainly playing debugging a verilator model of an RV32 using OpenOCD + GDB.

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

Thanks,
Ciaran

Liviu Ionescu

Jun 7, 2024, 12:59:05 PM (13 days ago) Jun 7
to Ciaran Lappin, RISC-V SW Dev

> On 7 Jun 2024, at 18:32, Ciaran Lappin <lappin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I should be using the RISC-V Collab toolchain instead?

You can also check the xPack GNU RISC-V Embedded GCC:

- https://github.com/xpack-dev-tools/riscv-none-elf-gcc-xpack/

Regards,

Liviu

Tommy Murphy

Jun 7, 2024, 1:26:03 PM (13 days ago) Jun 7
to Liviu Ionescu, Ciaran Lappin, RISC-V SW Dev
https://github.com/riscv-collab/riscv-gnu-toolchain is probably the best bet for the latest toolchain if you want/need to build your own.

(Note that it's still awaiting updating to GCC 14 and the latest Binutils: https://github.com/riscv-collab/riscv-gnu-toolchain/pull/1472 - but you can build from out of tree/upstream sources of these if needed).

As Liviu mentions there is also the xPack binary builds: https://xpack.github.io/dev-tools/riscv-none-elf-gcc/

Another binary build option is the Embecosm builds: https://www.embecosm.com/resources/tool-chain-downloads/

There are probably other options too.

Tommy Murphy

Jun 7, 2024, 2:13:09 PM (13 days ago) Jun 7
to Liviu Ionescu, Ciaran Lappin, RISC-V SW Dev
I should also have said that the latest bleeding edge RISC-V enabled OpenOCD sources are available from this repo:

Again Liviu has binary builds via his xPack project although I can't recall offhand if these are from upstream OpenOCD sources, the riscv-openocd repo sources, or a combination of both (plus other patches?)?

Also - selected (non-multilib) binary builds of the toolchains are available from the riscv-gnu-toolchain CI GitHub jobs and these tools may suffice for some users' purposes:

Liviu Ionescu

Jun 7, 2024, 3:18:41 PM (13 days ago) Jun 7
to Tommy Murphy, Ciaran Lappin, RISC-V SW Dev

> On 7 Jun 2024, at 21:13, Tommy Murphy <tommy_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Liviu has binary builds via his xPack project although I can't recall offhand if these are from upstream OpenOCD sources, the riscv-openocd repo sources, or a combination of both (plus other patches?)?

Upstream, no custom patches.

Liviu

Tommy Murphy

Jun 8, 2024, 8:53:17 AM (12 days ago) Jun 8
to Liviu Ionescu, Ciaran Lappin, RISC-V SW Dev
Thanks for the clarification, Liviu.

Ciaran Lappin

Jun 8, 2024, 10:52:50 AM (12 days ago) Jun 8
to Tommy Murphy, Liviu Ionescu, RISC-V SW Dev
Thank you Tommy and Liviu, that helps a lot :)

--
Kind Regards,
Ciaran Lappin