Public review for standard extension Sscofmpf

Stephano Cetola

Sep 16, 2021, 8:11:32 PM9/16/21
to isa...@groups.riscv.org, Greg Favor, Andrew Waterman
We are delighted to announce the start of the public review period for
the following proposed standard extension to the RISC-V ISA:
Sscofmpf - Count Overflow and Mode-based Filtering

The review period begins today, Thursday Sept 16, and ends on Sunday
Oct 31 (inclusive).

This extension is part of the Privileged Specification.

This extension is described in the PDF spec available at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/171j4jFjIkKdj5LWcExphq4xG_2sihbfd/view?usp=sharing

To respond to the public review, please email comments to the public
isa-dev mailing list. We welcome all input and appreciate your time
and effort in helping us by reviewing the specification.

During the public review period, corrections, comments, and
suggestions, will be gathered for review by the Privileged ISA
Committee. Any minor corrections and/or uncontroversial changes will
be incorporated into the specification. Any remaining issues or
proposed changes will be addressed in the public review summary
report. If there are no issues that require incompatible changes to
the public review specification, the Privileged ISA Committee will
recommend the updated specifications be approved and ratified by the
RISC-V Technical Steering Committee and the RISC-V Board of Directors.

Thanks to all the contributors for all their hard work.

Kind Regards,
Stephano
--
Stephano Cetola
Director of Technical Programs

Jim Wilson

Sep 17, 2021, 7:20:38 PM9/17/21
to Stephano Cetola, RISC-V ISA Dev, Greg Favor, Andrew Waterman
On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:11 PM Stephano Cetola <step...@riscv.org> wrote:
We are delighted to announce the start of the public review period for
the following proposed standard extension to the RISC-V ISA:
Sscofmpf - Count Overflow and Mode-based Filtering

The text has multiple references to a Sscof extension.  Looks like maybe the name was changed and the text was incompletely edited.

Also, this email says sscofmpf but the text says sscofpmf.  The "p" is a little confusing since "mode based filtering" doesn't abbreviate to "pmf" or "mpf", but inside the text I see it says "Privilege Mode Filtering" in one place which makes more sense if the name is pmf.  Maybe change the Mode-based Filtering title to Privilege Mode Filtering to match the name of the extension?  Or change the extension name to use mbf to match the Mode Based Filtering title.  Anyways, a little more consistency here would make this easier to understand.

Jim

Stephano Cetola

Sep 17, 2021, 7:46:37 PM9/17/21
to RISC-V ISA Dev, Jim Wilson, RISC-V ISA Dev, Greg Favor, andrew, Stephano Cetola
Good catch. Here's the latest version:

I've updated the link to the specification on the combined list as well.

Jim Wilson

Sep 17, 2021, 8:02:23 PM9/17/21
to Stephano Cetola, RISC-V ISA Dev, Greg Favor, andrew
On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Stephano Cetola <step...@riscv.org> wrote:
It isn't clear what if anything you changed.  I still see multiple references to Sscof, for instance, there are two in the "Machine Interrupt Registers" section, third paragraph.

Jim

Greg Favor

Sep 17, 2021, 9:10:54 PM9/17/21
to RISC-V ISA Dev
Stephano and Jim,

It looks like the Sscof references, which should all be to Sscofpmf, didn't get caught in recent reads of the spec by people.  I will clean those up once I have a chance either tonight or tomorrow morning.  Then Stephano can swap that in as the public review doc.

Greg

Stephano Cetola

Sep 18, 2021, 11:38:03 AM9/18/21
to RISC-V ISA Dev, gfa...@ventanamicro.com, Jim Wilson
Latest spec with the Sscof references updated to Sscofpmf:

--S