Public review for standard extensions

Earl Killian

Nov 8, 2022, 7:10:46 PM11/8/22
to RISC-V ISA Dev, tech-a...@lists.riscv.org
We are delighted to announce the start of the public review period for the following proposed standard extensions to the RISC-V ISA:

Zicntr - the standard extension for base counters and timers
Zihpm - the standard extension for hardware performance counters

The review period begins today, November 8, 2022, and ends on December 23, 2002 (inclusive).

This extension is part of the Unprivileged Specification.

These extensions are described in the PDF spec available at (see Chapter 12):
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/releases/download/draft-20220627-ca0a010/riscv-spec.pd

which was generated from the source available in the following GitHub repo:
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/

To respond to the public review, please either email comments to the public isa-dev mailing list or add issues and/or pull requests (PRs) to the RISC-V Instruction Set Manual GitHub repo: https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/ . We welcome all input and appreciate your time and effort in helping us by reviewing the specification.

During the public review period, corrections, comments, and suggestions, will be gathered for review by the Unprivileged ISA Committee. Any minor corrections and/or uncontroversial changes will be incorporated into the specification. Any remaining issues or proposed changes will be addressed in the public review summary report. If there are no issues that require incompatible changes to the public review specification, the Unprivileged ISA Committee will recommend the updated specifications be approved and ratified by the RISC-V Technical Steering Committee and the RISC-V Board of Directors.

Thanks to all the contributors for all their hard work.

Krste Ansanović and Earl Killian
Chair and Vice Chair, Unprivileged ISA Commitee

Palmer Dabbelt

Nov 8, 2022, 8:46:22 PM11/8/22
to earl.k...@arilinc.com, isa...@groups.riscv.org, tech-a...@lists.riscv.org
On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 16:10:40 PST (-0800), earl.k...@arilinc.com wrote:
> We are delighted to announce the start of the public review period for the following proposed standard extensions to the RISC-V ISA:
>
> Zicntr - the standard extension for base counters and timers
> Zihpm - the standard extension for hardware performance counters
>
> The review period begins today, November 8, 2022, and ends on December 23, 2002 (inclusive).
>
> This extension is part of the Unprivileged Specification.
>
> These extensions are described in the PDF spec available at (see Chapter 12):
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/releases/download/draft-20220627-ca0a010/riscv-spec.pd

Looks like that link is broken, I'm assuming it's just missing the "f"?

In the PDF I get when adding an "f", the preface there still says
"Counters" as a draft at 2.0. The specification status wiki lists
"Freeze Milestone Next Step" as "committee chair approval". Are these
frozen?

> which was generated from the source available in the following GitHub repo:
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/
>
> To respond to the public review, please either email comments to the public isa-dev mailing list or add issues and/or pull requests (PRs) to the RISC-V Instruction Set Manual GitHub repo: https://github.com/riscv/riscv-isa-manual/ . We welcome all input and appreciate your time and effort in helping us by reviewing the specification.
>
> During the public review period, corrections, comments, and suggestions, will be gathered for review by the Unprivileged ISA Committee. Any minor corrections and/or uncontroversial changes will be incorporated into the specification. Any remaining issues or proposed changes will be addressed in the public review summary report. If there are no issues that require incompatible changes to the public review specification, the Unprivileged ISA Committee will recommend the updated specifications be approved and ratified by the RISC-V Technical Steering Committee and the RISC-V Board of Directors.
>
> Thanks to all the contributors for all their hard work.
>
> Krste Ansanović and Earl Killian
> Chair and Vice Chair, Unprivileged ISA Commitee

Greg Favor

Nov 8, 2022, 9:28:12 PM11/8/22
to Palmer Dabbelt, earl.k...@arilinc.com, isa...@groups.riscv.org, tech-a...@lists.riscv.org
On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Palmer Dabbelt <pal...@dabbelt.com> wrote:
In the PDF I get when adding an "f", the  preface there still says
"Counters" as a draft at 2.0.  The specification status wiki lists
"Freeze Milestone Next Step" as "committee chair approval".  Are these
frozen?

Yes, these extensions are officially Frozen.  (Otherwise they would not be allowed to start public review.)  Apparently the preface and status wiki were not yet updated in accordance with the recent official approval to be Frozen.

Greg

Tommy Murphy

Nov 9, 2022, 9:56:16 AM11/9/22
to Greg Favor, Palmer Dabbelt, earl.k...@arilinc.com, isa...@groups.riscv.org, tech-a...@lists.riscv.org
> The review period begins today, November 8, 2022, and ends on December 23, 2002 (inclusive).

Does this require the Zitimemachine extension? ;-)