Updated rocket build instructions w.r.t. "mill"?

Gabriel L. Somlo

Feb 27, 2023, 11:35:53 AM2/27/23
to hw-...@groups.riscv.org
Hi,

I used to build Rocket verilog using steps more or less in line with
the README.md at https://github.com/chipsalliance/rocket-chip :

git clone --recursive https://github.com/chipsalliance/rocket-chip
make -C rocket-chip/vsim verilog

(after setting RISCV to a valid path and leaving CONFIG to the
default, for now).

This used to work before the update to the "mill build system", but
now I'm getting:

make: Entering directory '/tmp/rocket-chip/vsim'
cd /tmp/rocket-chip && mill rocketchip.assembly
/bin/bash: line 1: mill: command not found
make: *** [/tmp/rocket-chip/Makefrag:47: /tmp/rocket-chip/out/rocketchip/assembly.dest/out.jar] Error 127
make: Leaving directory '/tmp/rocket-chip/vsim'

Any idea what the new standard build proceduer is? Are we depending on
a "mill" prerequisite that should be installed separately on the
machine doing the build (as opposed to it being included as one of the
submodules in the `rocket-chip` repo)?

Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks,
--Gabriel

Tommy Murphy

Feb 27, 2023, 12:20:08 PM2/27/23
to Gabriel L. Somlo, hw-...@groups.riscv.org
What happens if you install `mill` and try again?
If that's a prerequisite package that is not mentioned in the instructions then you should log an issue on the relevant git repo or submit a PR.

Gabriel L. Somlo

Feb 27, 2023, 1:14:48 PM2/27/23
to Tommy Murphy, hw-...@groups.riscv.org
Yeah, the new build process now requires something along the lines of:

git clone https://github.com/com-lihaoyi/mill
./mill/mill --help # d/l large blob to $HOME/.cache/mill/download/<VERSION>
export MILL=$HOME/.cache/mill/download/<VERSION> # from above

at ths point, `make verilog` in rocket-chip/vsm appears to work.

Oh well: death, taxes, and the lengthening of dependency (supply) cahins.. :)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
--Gabriel