TileLink-UL PutFullData necessary?

Hadir Khan

Aug 7, 2020, 3:02:54 PM8/7/20
to RISC-V HW Dev
Hello everyone,
I was reading the TileLink spec and it has two separate opcodes for "PutFullData" and "PutPartialData" where a_size represent how many bytes are transmitted. My question is if a_size = 2 which means 2^a_size -> 2^2 = 4 bytes and a_opcode is "PutPartialData" then won't it act like a "PutFullData"? What is the need for a separate opcode for PutFullData when the controlling can be done by a_size?

Anoop

Nov 18, 2020, 5:00:30 AM11/18/20
to RISC-V HW Dev, hadir...@gmail.com
In cases where non-contiguous bytes have to be written, PutPartialData can be used. Also note that Tilelink requires that size and mask have to comply with one another (section 7.2.3, Tilelink Specification 1.8.1)