Hypervisor support in RISCV

J O

Aug 30, 2023, 4:39:57 AM8/30/23
to hw-...@groups.riscv.org, J O
Hello

I am trying to implement Hypervisor support in the RISCV CPU that i am working on. The target application is real-time automotive.

So i understand that i need to add the H-extension CSR registers and CSR instructions.

Now Hypervisor support will require two level memory paging scheme to translate the Virtual address to Physical address.

So my questions are:

  1. Is it possible to realise this two-level memory paging scheme with an MPU or the only solution is to realise an MMU. I am thinking about the MPU for more deterministic and faster operation for the target application.
  2. M-mode will be implemented, by default. Do i also need to provide support for [S, U] mode.
  3. RISC-V provides the M-mode PMP scheme to support memory protection. However, if a two level memory paging scheme is implemented (either via an MPU or MMU), does the core still need to support PMP?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

J.Osmany
Message has been deleted