Berkeley's riscv-torture is dead?

jhause...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 7:15:01 PM5/4/21
to RISC-V HW Dev
It appears to me that U.C. Berkeley's RISC-V Torture Test Generator,
found here:
https://github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-torture
is not being maintained, and has now bit-rotted to the point of
unusability, thanks to constant churn in SBT (the Scala Build Tool)
on which it depends.  At least, that's been my experience with simply
cloning the repository and following the instructions.  I first ran
into Issue #22:
https://github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-torture/issues/22
which has been sitting unresolved for almost a year.  My inexpert
attempt to patch for that bug only got me as far as Issue #25:
https://github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-torture/issues/25
which also hasn't gotten any attention since being filed nine months
ago.

Is anybody actually using 'riscv-torture' any more?  If so, how?
If not, what is the publicly available replacement that I don't know
about?

Thanks,

    - John Hauser

Jerry Zhao

May 4, 2021, 8:25:44 PM5/4/21
to jhause...@gmail.com, RISC-V HW Dev
Torture is maintained when someone finds it useful, which is less and less frequent these days.
I opened a PR to bump SBT in torture, it should compile again with these changes.
https://github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-torture/pull/29

An alternative is Google's riscv-dv instruction generator. https://github.com/google/riscv-dv .
When I tried this years ago, it was not significantly more capable than torture, but they seem to
have added many new features recently.

-Jerry Zhao

jhause...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 11:36:01 PM5/4/21
to RISC-V HW Dev, RISC-V HW Dev
Jerry Zhao wrote:
> Torture is maintained when someone finds it useful, which is less and
> less frequent these days.  I opened a PR to bump SBT in torture, it
> should compile again with these changes.
> https://github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-torture/pull/29

Thank you, Jerry, that solved it for me!  I would not have been able to
fix the problem so quickly myself.

Thanks also for the tip about Google's instruction generator.  I'll
give it a try sometime.

    - John Hauser

Neel Gala

May 5, 2021, 12:12:45 AM5/5/21
to jhause...@gmail.com, RISC-V HW Dev
Shakti's aapg tool is equally powerful. Recently features to generate self-checking tests (via checksum) have also been added. Its actively maintained as well.
Do check out the wiki for more information on the features.

Neel Gala

Josh Scheid

May 28, 2021, 3:51:36 PM5/28/21
to Neel Gala, jhause...@gmail.com, RISC-V HW Dev
On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 9:12 PM Neel Gala <neel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shakti's aapg tool is equally powerful. Recently features to generate self-checking tests (via checksum) have also been added. Its actively maintained as well.
Do check out the wiki for more information on the features.

I'll second the recommendation to try aapg for a libre+gratis generator.  It was very easy to get started with and I'm happy to see ongoing maintenance.  google/risc-dv still requires a commercial simulator at this point.

-Josh