Re: RISC-V Ratification Progress

Rick O'Connor

Apr 10, 2018, 3:21:41 PM4/10/18
to Alex Bradbury, Megan Wachs, Krste Asanovic, Yunsup Lee, RISC-V ISA Dev
Hi Alex - wanted to let you know the Specifications page on the riscv.org site now contains a short text entry outlining the role of the Technical Committee and a link to the Technical Committee workspace public page with charter and ratification process info (as well as links to active Task Groups).

Answers to your specific questions are below...

Please let me know if there is anything further I can help with.

Look fwd to seeing you in Barcelona.
Cheers,
Rick

Rick O'Connor
Executive Director
RISC-V Foundation

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Alex Bradbury <a...@asbradbury.org> wrote:
On 2 April 2018 at 19:40, Rick O'Connor <ric...@riscv.org> wrote:
> Yes - The process is detailed in the Bylaws and we’ll have it posted on the
> main site as well as the public Tech Committee page in workspace.
>
> We settled on the description text last week.
>
> Is there something specific you’re looking for Alex?

Thanks for the response Rick. In one of my previous emails I outlined
how I currently believe things work, based on statements made on this
list and the bylaws. I'd appreciate comments on that and
clarifications on the points labeled with a question mark - especially
the role of the technical committee:

As per the Foundation Bylaws the BoD approves Committees and Sub-Committees (Task Groups).  Tech Comm and Mktg Comm Chairs bring forward recommendations from their member rosters.
Yes
Yes - one public review is mandatory although multiple are encouraged
Depending on the scope of the feedback and how the comments are dispositioned by the Task Group, the spec in question can be recommended for approval or go back into the editing process.  All feedback / comments received must be addressed by the TG.
Yes
The BoD meets monthly, but we can always convene an ad-hoc BoD mtg for any spec release that is considered urgent.  At this stage the BoD is primarily reviewing to ensure our process as published in the Bylaws has been followed properly with all commentary being addressed as well as reviewing the source of contributed content in the spec.

Agreed!!

Cheers,

Alex