The Bugs Framework data format, OSV, and JSON-LD

Josh Bressers

Sep 11, 2021, 9:54:53 PMSep 11
to irena.b...@nist.gov, u...@groups.cloudsecurityalliance.org
Hi all,

I'm CCing Irena Bojanova to this mail, she is leading a group at NIST on a project called Bugs Framework Project (BF).

I've been reading some of their work, I like it. I would encourage everyone subscribed to this list to take a look. The data format is incomplete, but being worked on.

This mail is to kill a few birds with one stone.

I put together a file that shows off what I envision adding BF data could look like here
I do not have a JSON-LD context definition yet.

I used Heartbleed as my example because the BF folks have a nice writeup about it here
I am too stupid and lazy to figure out a bug in a reasonable amount of time so I cheated.

Second, everything in that file should conform to the OSV schema (I can't find an actual schema definition to validate, so I can't prove it). I think we can use the current OSV format with a few minor changes to properly support JSON-LD.

Lastly, the BF data format is very descriptive, but I like JSON and wanted to see it described as such, so that's what this file is really meant to show off. I had a chat with Irena and promised such an example this weekend. OSV compatibility was a happy accident.

If we have BF data and a git commit, I believe we could auto generate the description and severity score for most any bug or vulnerability. I need to think about this more though.

Feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.

--
     Josh

Oliver Chang

Sep 13, 2021, 2:38:41 AMSep 13
to Josh Bressers, irena.b...@nist.gov, u...@groups.cloudsecurityalliance.org
Thanks for sharing this Josh! This looks really interesting.

Re OSV schema validator, we have a pull request with a JSON schema definition here: https://github.com/ossf/osv-schema/pull/5
--
Oliver

Bojanova, Irena V. (Fed)

Oct 3, 2021, 11:59:36 PMOct 3
to Oliver Chang, Josh Bressers, u...@groups.cloudsecurityalliance.org
Josh and Oliver,

Please see here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-QwRneiJNW0bLSIAXpYZw8OgOv3bG1uP) an updated BF Hearbleed description in XML format. (The schema only for the BF class definition is defined for now. I will have the vulnerability descriptions schema soon.)

I did this in XML, as I use XSLT and XPath to generate visualizations. It should be easily to translate this to JSON.

Please let me know what you think.

Irena

Oct 4, 2021, 12:00:51 AMOct 4
to Bojanova, Irena V. (Fed), Oliver Chang, Josh Bressers, u...@groups.cloudsecurityalliance.org
Can you make this document public? Thanks.

Kurt Seifried (He/Him)
Chief Blockchain Officer and Director of Special Projects
Cloud Security Alliance

Kurt Seifried

Oct 12, 2021, 1:50:29 PM (8 days ago) Oct 12
to Bojanova, Irena V. (Fed), u...@groups.cloudsecurityalliance.org, Josh Bressers
Took a quick look at:

Question: the definitions of words e.g.:

    <Value>Under Bounds</Value>
<Value>Untrusted Pointer</Value>
<Value>Wrong Position</Value>
<Value>Casted Pointer</Value>

are from CWE, or?

Kurt Seifried (He/Him)
Chief Blockchain Officer and Director of Special Projects
Cloud Security Alliance

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 10:19 PM Bojanova, Irena V. (Fed) <irena.b...@nist.gov> wrote:
Kurt,

I will share it with you. It's on the NIST Drive, so it cannot be made public.
I will put the files on GitHub once we double-check them.

Irena