Welcome to the watchers community!

Asim Hussain

May 7, 2024, 8:15:41 AMMay 7
to [public] if-community
Hi all,

Apologies for those who were left waiting for a while, I forgot I had to approve every member! I've just approved all of you to join :)

I'd suggest we all start with introducing ourselves and to each other.

My name is Asim Hussain.
Based in the United Kingdom, an hour south of London.
I'm the Executive Director of the GSF and specifically regarding IF I've been involved in the project since the start and have been interested in the area of measuring software emissions for several years.
When not focussing on the GSF and IF my hobbies are (currently) growing mushrooms, baking bread and growing veg.

Cheers,

--
Asim Hussain
Executive Director

Carlos Oliveira

May 7, 2024, 8:29:25 AMMay 7
to [public] if-community
Hi,

My name is Carlos Oliveira.
I'm based in Azeitão, 40mins south of Lisbon, in Portugal.
I'm currently a Technical Architect at BJSS.

As expected, I have an interest in Sustainability and Green Software and I started measuring the carbon footprint of some of our current Cloud implementations (work in progress).

Personally, my free time is spent rock climbing.

Best
Carlos

Matthew Griffin

May 7, 2024, 8:45:24 AMMay 7
to [public] if-community
Hi,

My name is Matthew Griffin.
I'm based in Newcastle upon Tyne, in the UK.
I'm currently a Senior Developer at Scott Logic, and have been part of our Sustainability team for coming up on a year. Before that I've mostly worked in Computer Games or other software with 3D visualisation, mostly using C++.
Still a keen gamer in my spare time.

Adam Coles

May 7, 2024, 12:26:03 PMMay 7
to [public] if-community

Hi community

I'm Adam Coles, I'm Head of Sustainable Services for Opencast Software (also in Newcastle upon Tyne :)). Before leadership roles I was a software developer, mostly in Java and Scala. My roles is to bring a sustainable approach to all of the services we offer to clients, with a broad focus on both green and social sustainability approaches across (mostly) digital services. In my spare time I watch too much scandi/euro noir and maintain an interest in landscape photography, though I stopped getting up at dawn to shoot the sun rising some time ago.

William Beckler

May 7, 2024, 2:55:47 PMMay 7
to Asim Hussain, [public] if-community
My name is William Beckler.
I'm based in New York City.
I work at AWS OpenSearch. I'm interested in reducing carbon emissions coming from open source software running in the cloud. GSF is a great inspiration.
When not focusing on climate stuff, I cook, read, sleep and hang with my family.

Jackson Kiptanui

May 7, 2024, 4:03:12 PMMay 7
to [public] if-community, Asim Hussain
Hi All,

Am Jackson. Based in Nairobi, Kenya.  Currently a Product Manager/Innovation.

I am keen on understanding how digital emissions are measured.  In my free time, I do digital sustainable advocacy. I would love to develop a curriculum for College or university students about green software. If anyone has leads or is willing to help, please reach out.  Thanks

Regards,
Jackson

Wilco Burggraaf

May 8, 2024, 12:39:21 AMMay 8
to [public] if-community, Jackson Kiptanui, Asim Hussain
Hello everyone,

I'm Wilco Burggraaf from the Netherlands, and for the past four months, I've been fueled by a deep passion for discovering new frontiers in Green Software, Green IT, and Sustainable IT.

On April 18th, in collaboration with Pini Reznik from re:cinq under the GSF umbrella, we launched monthly GSF meetups in the Netherlands. Within just six weeks, our community has grown from zero to 250 members! I'm currently in discussions with significant communities in the Netherlands to potentially collaborate either directly or indirectly. Community building has become my greatest passion, particularly in discovering small emerging sustainable networks online.

During my free time, I collaborate with associate professors from TU Delft to explore advancements in software measurement beyond SCI. Additionally, I joined CNCF TAG ENV group to coordinate a special event in the Netherlands for Sustainability Week and work on a User Story in the coming months how k8s can be used to measure and improve SCI and other metrics. In addition to everything else, I'm deeply interested in enhancing Agile methodologies to be more sustainable and innovating new green design patterns, particularly focusing on reducing data energy consumption. This includes exploring familiar concepts with energy loss such as mappers, adapters, and ORM repositories to drive sustainability within our software practices.

Over the next six months, my goal is to integrate DAPR https://dapr.io/ with OpenTelemetry (https://www.cncf.io/projects/opentelemetry/), Impact Framework, (new) IF plugins, and Open Source CNCF working group activities into a single project for myself (and friends and coworkers) to elevate our understanding to new heights and keep it doable to be connected with multiple groups at the same time.

I regularly share my insights on LinkedIn and look forward to connecting and happy to be now part of the Green Software Watchers Group.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/wilco-burggraaf-a6b15517/recent-activity/all/

Oh, and here's a funny fact: alongside all of this, I also work 36 hours a week at the Nature Databank Flora & Fauna as a Solution Architect. My role involves ensuring that hundreds of millions of nature measurements are made available as open data by the end of the year. Although I've been there for just half a year, I've gained valuable insights into their decades-long development of measurement processes and truly understand the intricacies of their operations.

Best regards,

Wilco

Asim Hussain

May 21, 2024, 4:11:56 AMMay 21
to Wilco Burggraaf, [public] if-community, Jackson Kiptanui
Welcome all!

Great to have you here. We're going to send out regular updates shortly to keep the conversation going.

Shout if you need anything!