Impact Framework Snapshot 23/5/24

Joseph Cook

May 23, 2024, 5:22:31 AMMay 23
to [public] if-community
Hi IF-ers!

Welcome to the IF community mailing list!

I'm going to be sharing some project updates and opportunities in this channel on Thursdays from now on. My plan is to include:

- an overview of what we are working on
- summary of new features we have shipped
- any relevant ecosystem updates
- highlight areas where you can get involved

What are we working on?

We are currently working on our "trust" epic that includes new tooling that enables users to compare output files and improved logging and error handling. We've also been migrating our standard library of generic plugins from the`if-plugins` repository into IF as `builtins`.

We think this will make IF much easier to use as well as easier for us to maintain.

You can check out a detailed set of project updates with links to each issue/PR on our Github here:

Project updates

New features

We have some new command line tools shipping soon. `if-diff` will enable you to identify differences between output files using a simple command. This enables rapid verification of IF output files.

We are also very close to shipping our IF Explorer website, where you can search for plugins!
We're really excited about this because it provides a way for you to share the plugins you build with the rest of the ecosystem and search for plugins that you need for your pipelines!

You can start submitting your plugins today to be ready for the launch at the end of the month!

Get ready to submit your plugins!

Ecosystem updates

There was a very successful hackathon held at Climate Action tech Zurich last week. The team that hacked on IF won second place, and it was fantastic to see that they were able to go from first-exposure to IF to a dashboard monitoring the carbon intensity of their azure services in real time in a single afternoon!

Climate Action Tech

Ways to contribute

We are grateful for some substantial community contributions over the past few weeks.

This includes users who have raised bug reports, contributed fixes and added new information to our docs website.

If you want ideas for ways to contribute to IF, you can look for the `help-wanted` tag on our issue board - I have been through and tagged some issues ranging from small bug fixes to more substantial upgrades to IF features.

Browse our help-wanted issues

That's it for now, see you all online!

--
Joseph Cook