Greenplum binaries support for ubuntu 22.04

Rohit Tanwar

Jan 24, 2023, 3:53:15 PM1/24/23
to Greenplum Developers
Hi team,

We are using gpdb 6.15 version with ubuntu 18.04 and it is working fine but now the support for ubuntu 18.04 is ending in April.

We want to upgrade the ubuntu to 22.04 but I think the gpdb binaries doesn't support it. Can someone please provide any solution or also some other ways to do it?

Is there any plan to provide the binaries for 22.04 also in future?

Ivan Novick

Jan 26, 2023, 11:45:46 AM1/26/23
to Rohit Tanwar, Greenplum Developers
Hi Rohit,

First of all, my suggestion is to upgrade from 6.15 to 6.23 as many fixes and improvements were made between those versions.

Secondly, Ubuntu 20.04 will be a more seamless transition as its similar in kernel versions to RHEL8 as i have been informed.

I see its not updated in the OSS Launchpad builds yet, but I hope someone in the community will do that nearly.

Finally, why not build it yourself, its not too hard and plenty of people can help, and then you can have the versions of OS you want and control it.

Ivan

Ivan Novick

!! External Email: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender.

Kirill Reshke

Jan 27, 2023, 2:03:57 AM1/27/23
to Greenplum Developers, inovick, rttr...@gmail.com
Hello Ivan and Rohit. I accidentally sent this letter to Ivan right away, not to everyone, so I'll ask the question again.

Speaking of 18.04 to 22.04 upgrade, what is you suggesion on glibc 2.28 changes with localization? Default glibc version on bionic is 2.27, and it is 2.35 on jammy. Glibc version upgrade may be very harmful and dangerous, since strcoll behaviour changed. Simply running greenplum on new ubuntu version may result in data corruption, since B-Tree indexes invariant will become broken.

https://lwn.net/Articles/761462/
On Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 21:45:46 UTC+5 inovick wrote:
Hi Rohit,

First of all, my suggestion is to upgrade from 6.15 to 6.23 as many fixes and improvements were made between those versions.

Secondly, Ubuntu 20.04 will be a more seamless transition as its similar in kernel versions to RHEL8 as i have been informed.

I see its not updated in the OSS Launchpad builds yet, but I hope someone in the community will do that nearly.

Finally, why not build it yourself, its not too hard and plenty of people can help, and then you can have the versions of OS you want and control it.

Ivan

Ivan Novick

Jan 27, 2023, 2:28:32 AM1/27/23
to Kirill Reshke, Greenplum Developers, inovick, rttr...@gmail.com
Agree. Even for rhel 7 to rhel 8 similar problem exists and we are yet to access full scope of recommendations for in-place upgrade (like recreating indexes, partition related aspects, distribution things impacted and …)

Best course of action for such OS upgrade would be backup and restore.