Announcing General Availability of Greenplum Version 7 🎉

Ashwin Agrawal

Sep 28, 2023, 1:43:36 PM9/28/23
to Greenplum Developers, Greenplum Users
Dear Greenplum Community,

I am thrilled to announce the General Availability of Greenplum
Version 7 as of 9/28/2023. This marks a significant milestone in our
journey toward empowering data analytics at any scale and driving
innovation from business intelligence to artificial intelligence in a
single platform.

We are immensely thankful to our dedicated community members, users,
and contributors who have played a crucial role in shaping this
release. Your valuable insights, feedback, and contributions have been
instrumental in making Greenplum Version 7 a reality.

Version 7, has been a multi-year project with over 87,000 code commits
included that provide an upgraded overall Greenplum experience
compared to our previous version Greenplum 6.

With this release, we have made substantial enhancements, refining our
platform to deliver unparalleled performance, scalability, and ease of
use. Greenplum Version 7 is a testament to our commitment to meeting
and exceeding the evolving needs of our community and customers.

Key Highlights of Greenplum Version 7:

* PostgreSQL 12: incorporates five years' worth of PostgreSQL releases
  providing an open-source foundation.

* Multiple index types: support for a broad spectrum of index types
  including btree, hash, bitmap, block range indices (BRIN),
  geospatial, text, and AI Vector indices.  The Greenplum Query
  Optimizer has enhanced support for intelligent index selection.

* Enhanced Data Federation: PXF provides superior data federation
  allowing query of data in S3, HDFS, JDBC, and other Greenplum
  instances with ease leveraging the new PostgreSQL 12 based foreign
  data wrapper API.

* Improved Search: expanded search capabilities including both lexical
  and semantic search of unstructured data including text and images
  using both keywords and AI powered vector embedding models.

* AI LLM Data Processing: leveraging the massively parallel processing
  compute model of Greenplum, Version 7 provides users the ability to
  process their data at scale using large language models (LLM) from
  either proprietary or open-source model repositories.

* Upgraded Geospatial Analytics: support for PostGIS version 3
  provides more capability for storage and analysis of geography data.

* Row Level Permissions: provides enhanced security now with
  policy-based row access permissions in addition to column and
  object-based permissions.

* Generated Columns: allows for improved data abstraction and
  modelling, solving use cases such as feature preserving data masking
  for security.

* Advanced Resource Management: is provided included Disk IO
  throttling and a more sensitive and tunable model for CPU and memory
  management to support large user population Greenplum environments.

And much more!

To explore and experience the power of Greenplum Version 7, I invite
you to visit our website https://greenplum.org and download
the latest release https://github.com/greenplum-db/gpdb/releases/tag/7.0.0.
We look forward to your feedback and encourage you
to share your experiences with us and the broader community.

Thank you once again for your continued support. Together, we will
continue to drive innovation, and I am excited to see the remarkable
solutions that will emerge with Greenplum Version 7.

Thank you,

Ashwin Agrawal
Greenplum Community

Links:
- [7.0.0 Release](https://github.com/greenplum-db/gpdb/releases/tag/7.0.0)
- [Greenplum Version 7 Youtube Playlist](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4duir3J-8GX9EmTGRXoBE9vTKFWHsXLC)
- [Greenplum Blogs](https://greenplum.org/blogs/)

All the contributors to Greenplum Version 7 as per github:
(Please forgive if missed anyone)
1mmortal
Abhijit Subramanya
Adam Berlin
Adam Lee
Aegeaner
airfan
Akshatha MS
Aleksey Kashin
Alexander Kondakov
Alexandra Wang
Alexandr Barulev
Alexey Gordeev
Alvaro Herrera
Amil Khanzada
Amit Khandekar
Andrew Repp
Andrey Borodin
Andrey Sokolov
Annpurna Shahani
Anthony Yefimov
Anton Kurochkin
Anusha Shakarad
aqktjcm
Ashuka Xue
Ashwin Agrawal
Asim R P
Bee Hanson
Ben Christel
Ben Klein
Bhanu Kiran Atturu
bhari
Bhuvnesh Chaudhary
Bob Bao
Bradford D. Boyle
Brent Doil
bzhaoopenstack
Chandan Kunal
CharlieTT
Chengwen Wu
Chen Mulong
Chris Hajas
ChrisYuan
Chuck Litzell
congnan.luo
Daniel Gustafsson
Daniel Hoffman
David Kimura
David Krieger
David Sharp
David Yozie
Dean Rasheed
Debosri Dhar Brahma
Deena Venkatesan
DellCurry
Denis Smirnov
Dennis Kovalenko
DevChattopadhyay
dh-cloud
Divyesh Vanjare
Domino Valdano
Deepika Pandhi
dreamedcheng
dusx1981
Ed Espino
eedy
Ekaterina Dontsova
Ekta Khanna
erchuan
Ethanzjp
Evgeniy Ratkov
FairyFar
Fang Zheng
Fenggang Wang
fiograf
flykos
Francisco Guerrero
Fujii Masao
Gang Xiong
gaotianyi
Gaurab Dey
Georgios Kokolatos
Georgy Shelkovy
ggbq
Gleb Khudyaev
Goutam Tadi
Haisheng Yuan
Hans Zeller
Haolin Wang
Haotian Chen
Hao Wu
Haozhou Wang
hari krishna
Heikki Linnakangas
Himanshu Pandey
Hongxu Ma
HouLei
Huansong Fu
Hubert Zhang
hughcapet
Huiliang.liu
HustonMmmavr
hyongtao-db
Ivan Leskin
Ivan Novick
Ivan Shubin
Jacob Champion
Jamie McAtamney
japinli
Jasper Li
Jenny Schaffer
Jermy Li
Jesse Zhang
Jialun
Jian Guo
Jimmy Yih
Jinbao Chen
jingwen-yang-yjw
Jingyu Wang
Julien Rouhaud
Junfeng(Jerome) Yang
Junwang Zhao
J·Y
Kalen Krempely
Karen Huddleston
Kate Dontsova
Kevin Yeap
Kirill Glisnky
kirill reshke
krait007
Kris Macoskey
Krun Alex Jiang
Lav Jain
lchx1010
Lena Hunter
Leo SHEN
Linxu Han
Lisa Owen
LittleWuCoding
liuxueyang
Lucas Bonner
m7onov
Maksim Milyutin
mannikov
Manoj Krishnan
maqing
Marbin Tan
Marcus Robb
Mark Sliva
Maxim Smyatkin
Melanie Plageman
Mel Kiyama
Michael Scovetta
Ming LI
Mingli Zhang
Mireia Perez Fuster
Moonsn
Mounika M
Mr Dk
muguoqing
Nihal Jain
Nikhil Kak
Nikolaos Kalampalikis
Nikolay Kuznetsov
Ning Wu
Ning Yu
NISHANT SHARMA
Noah Misch
Oliver Albertini
Orhan Kislal
Paul Guo
Peifeng Qiu
Pengzhou Tang
Piyush Chandwadkar
Polina Bungina
ppggff
prajnamort
Praveen Kumar
Qing Ma
Rakesh Sharma
Richard Guo
Richy Wang
RMT
Robert Mu
roseduan
Ru Yang
Ryan Zhang
Sambitesh Dash
Sanath Kumar Vobilisetty
Sasasu
Sergey Smirnov
Shaoqi Bai
shenfowang
Shirisha SN
Shivram Mani
Shoaib Lari
Shreedhar Hardikar
Shwetha Ravoor
Soumyadeep Chakraborty
srkr
sruthip2
StanleySung
Sumit Basumallick
t1mursadykov
Tang Pengzhou
tangyu
Tao Tang
Taylor Vesely
Teng zhang
terry
THANATOSLAVA
The Alchemist
TheFlash
Tingfang Bao
Tyler Ramer
usernamedt
Valery Khashkovsky
Vasiliy Ivanov
Venkatesh Raghavan
Violet Cheng
Wang Hao
Wang Weinan
Weinan WANG
Wen Lin
Wenlin Zhang
Wenru Yan
wraymo
wuchengwen
Wu Ning
Xiaodong Huo
Xiaoran Wang
xiaoxiao
Xing Guo
Xuebin Su (苏学斌)
xuejing zhao
xuqi.wxq
Yandong Yao
yangyingchao
Yang, Ying-chao
Yao Wang
yaphet
yihong
Yini Li
Yongtao Huang
Zhang Hao
ZhangHuiGui
Zhang Mingli
zhaorui20005
ZhaoRui
Zhenghua Lyu
Zhenglong Li
zjpedu
Роман Зотов
一挃
盏一

Huge Thank you All. Celebrate the Milestone. Keep contributions coming.