rg's memory_limit value

Wenru Yan

Mar 2, 2023, 9:24:03 PM3/2/23
to gpdb...@greenplum.org

Hello, everyone. After we redesign the memory control of resource group, we set rg’s memory_limit as the rg’s max available memory. And there is a controversy about the memory_limit’s value. Currently I have set memory_limit ‘s value default to -1 for resource groups which doesn’t set memory_limit when create or system resource groups, and in this case we will simply use statement_mem as the query’s memory limit, it’s just like the resourece queue.

Is it ok? Or we should set a specified value (such as like 1000mb) as the memory_limit’s default value?
since commit c25db0c support resgroup with memory_limit, adds it to gp_resgroup_config view. Here are some reminders before you submit the pull request Add tests for the change Document changes ...

Ivan Novick

Mar 3, 2023, 5:44:01 PM3/3/23
to gpdb...@greenplum.org, Wenru Yan
My perception is we will not encourage customers to use -1 and statement_mem, but leave that option as an override just in case they want to use it that why.

Another option is to make memory_limit mandatory setting when creating a resource group, to force the user to consider a reasonable value.  What do you think on that idea?

Ivan