Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Ivan Novick

ungelesen,
11.11.2016, 11:38:5011.11.16
an Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
Subject change :)

A big ***Newsflash*** is deserved: The ZFS filesystem is now standard in the Ubuntu distributions. That means Ubuntu 16.04 enables ZFS by default and you can use ZFS compression to fix the sucky IO in the cloud ... Big win!

interesting!  Also ZFS snapshots?

I am pretty sure we will see Ubuntu as a supported platform in the not too far future for Pivotal's Greenplum too, based on demand for a version running with Ubuntu BOSH stem cells.

Cheers,
Ivan

--
Ivan Novick
Product Manager Pivotal Greenplum

Luke Lonergan

ungelesen,
11.11.2016, 11:45:1511.11.16
an Ivan Novick, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers

Yah – so, first off I can answer a couple of ZFS questions:

1)      Full, in-kernel ZFS is available by default starting with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

a.       A new compression option lz4 is the default

b.       It’s otherwise identical to ZFS on Solaris 10 AFAICT

2)      We’ve been using it in production for a small while now and it seems very stable

a.       By comparison BTRFS failed stress tests with data corruption and operational faults

b.       The same tests pass without incident on ZFS

c.       We use stress tests that exercise deep IO patterns of interest, including metadata traversal over 500,000 items while reading and writing, all in parallel

And on Ubuntu – I’ve resisted it until recently, but it’s now the standard across cloud and application dev environments. I made my peace with it pretty quickly and am happier for it.

But now that Ubuntu has default ZFS support – it’s a no-brainer for GPDB IMO. Happy to provide deeper background on that to the n00bs, but it’s a big deal for GPDB.

- Luke

Keaton Adams

ungelesen,
11.11.2016, 11:46:2211.11.16
an Greenplum Developers, luke.l...@gmail.com, hlinna...@pivotal.io
This is excellent news, especially for cloud platforms such as Amazon EC2.  Using CentOS for an EC2 server requires a community AMI.  It is not in the "pick list" as a "standard" OS that Amazon provides for a new Instance:

Amazon Linux AMI 2016.09.0 (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-5ec1673e
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-6f68cf0f
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2 (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-e4a30084
Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-a9d276c9

Having Greenplum officially support Ubuntu Server and possibly Amazon Linux would be a big win for companies who want to standardize their Amazon EC2 deployments on these OS choices.

Thanks,

Keaton

Roman Shaposhnik

ungelesen,
11.11.2016, 11:48:1011.11.16
an Luke Lonergan, Ivan Novick, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Luke Lonergan <luke.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yah – so, first off I can answer a couple of ZFS questions:
>
> 1) Full, in-kernel ZFS is available by default starting with Ubuntu
> 16.04 LTS
>
> a. A new compression option lz4 is the default
>
> b. It’s otherwise identical to ZFS on Solaris 10 AFAICT

Not really. Definitely not Solaris 10. But close enough.

> 2) We’ve been using it in production for a small while now and it seems
> very stable

It seems pretty stable indeed. The biggest reason Canonical included it
is to support containers and they deploy huge amounts of those without
much problems.

> a. By comparison BTRFS failed stress tests with data corruption and
> operational faults
>
> b. The same tests pass without incident on ZFS
>
> c. We use stress tests that exercise deep IO patterns of interest,
> including metadata traversal over 500,000 items while reading and writing,
> all in parallel
>

> And on Ubuntu – I’ve resisted it until recently, but it’s now the standard
> across cloud and application dev environments. I made my peace with it
> pretty quickly and am happier for it.

Correct. Ubuntu completely won in the cloud. Especially with snaps and
its own container technology.

> But now that Ubuntu has default ZFS support – it’s a no-brainer for GPDB
> IMO. Happy to provide deeper background on that to the n00bs, but it’s a big
> deal for GPDB.

FWIW: Bigtop already unofficially supports Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Roman.

jzh...@pivotal.io

ungelesen,
11.11.2016, 22:15:5011.11.16
an Greenplum Developers, luke.l...@gmail.com, hlinna...@pivotal.io
We ran GPDB 4 on the Ubuntu stem cell and the database was pretty happy, FYI.

Jesse

Andreas Scherbaum

ungelesen,
13.11.2016, 14:35:3613.11.16
an Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers

Hello,

On 11/11/16 17:38, Ivan Novick wrote:
Subject change :)

A big ***Newsflash*** is deserved: The ZFS filesystem is now standard in the Ubuntu distributions. That means Ubuntu 16.04 enables ZFS by default and you can use ZFS compression to fix the sucky IO in the cloud ... Big win!

interesting!  Also ZFS snapshots?

I am pretty sure we will see Ubuntu as a supported platform in the not too far future for Pivotal's Greenplum too, based on demand for a version running with Ubuntu BOSH stem cells.

GPDB (5) compiles and runs fine on Ubuntu, however with ext3 or ext4, not zfs. And not in production, but we had a fair share of test run on it in the past.

What is required to make it an official platform?

--

Andreas Scherbaum

Principal Software Engineer

GoPivotal Deutschland GmbH

Hauptverwaltung und Sitz: Am Kronberger Hang 2a, 65824 Schwalbach/Ts., Deutschland

Amtsgericht Königstein im Taunus, HRB 8433

Geschäftsführer: Andrew Michael Cohen, Paul Thomas Dacier

Roman Shaposhnik

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 09:51:1314.11.16
an Andreas Scherbaum, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Andreas Scherbaum
<asche...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On 11/11/16 17:38, Ivan Novick wrote:
>
> Subject change :)
>

>> A big ***Newsflash*** is deserved: The ZFS filesystem is now standard in
>> the Ubuntu distributions. That means Ubuntu 16.04 enables ZFS by default and
>> you can use ZFS compression to fix the sucky IO in the cloud ... Big win!
>>

> interesting! Also ZFS snapshots?
>
> I am pretty sure we will see Ubuntu as a supported platform in the not too
> far future for Pivotal's Greenplum too, based on demand for a version
> running with Ubuntu BOSH stem cells.
>
> GPDB (5) compiles and runs fine on Ubuntu, however with ext3 or ext4, not
> zfs. And not in production, but we had a fair share of test run on it in the
> past.
>
> What is required to make it an official platform?

Note that there's a different between a "supported platform" from the community
standpoint and what is officially supported by Pivotal.

Community-wise packages get built and tested (not extensively) over on Apache
Bigtop side, for example:
https://ci.bigtop.apache.org/view/Packages/job/Bigtop-trunk-packages/

I'll be doing a demo of how you can install and mange GPDB and also hook
it up to Hadoop ecosystem tomorrow at ApacheCON for example:
https://apachebigdataeu2016.sched.org/event/8oeK/massively-parallel-data-warehousing-in-the-hadoop-stack-gregory-chase-roman-shaposhnik-pivotal

Thanks,
Roman.

Roman Shaposhnik

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 10:00:2314.11.16
an Andreas Scherbaum, Gregory Chase, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
Also, forgot to add that if you're interested in this subject, we're
planning a Greenplum Chat
with EPAM (the main driving force behind GPDB's community
packaging/deployment efforts)
sometime in Dec. CCing Greg for more details.

Thanks,
Roman.

Andreas Scherbaum

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 10:17:1514.11.16
an Roman Shaposhnik, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers

<asche...@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hello,

On 11/11/16 17:38, Ivan Novick wrote:

Subject change :)

A big ***Newsflash*** is deserved: The ZFS filesystem is now standard in
the Ubuntu distributions. That means Ubuntu 16.04 enables ZFS by default and
you can use ZFS compression to fix the sucky IO in the cloud ... Big win!

interesting!  Also ZFS snapshots?

I am pretty sure we will see Ubuntu as a supported platform in the not too
far future for Pivotal's Greenplum too, based on demand for a version
running with Ubuntu BOSH stem cells.

GPDB (5) compiles and runs fine on Ubuntu, however with ext3 or ext4, not
zfs. And not in production, but we had a fair share of test run on it in the
past.

What is required to make it an official platform?
Note that there's a different between a "supported platform" from the community
standpoint and what is officially supported by Pivotal.
I mean the latter. Pivotal is a Cloud company, and The Cloud in great parts runs on Ubuntu.

Roman Shaposhnik

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 10:18:3814.11.16
an Andreas Scherbaum, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Andreas Scherbaum
<asche...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> On 14/11/16 15:51, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Andreas Scherbaum
> <asche...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> On 11/11/16 17:38, Ivan Novick wrote:
>
> Subject change :)
>
> A big ***Newsflash*** is deserved: The ZFS filesystem is now standard in
> the Ubuntu distributions. That means Ubuntu 16.04 enables ZFS by default and
> you can use ZFS compression to fix the sucky IO in the cloud ... Big win!
>
> interesting! Also ZFS snapshots?
>
> I am pretty sure we will see Ubuntu as a supported platform in the not too
> far future for Pivotal's Greenplum too, based on demand for a version
> running with Ubuntu BOSH stem cells.
>
> GPDB (5) compiles and runs fine on Ubuntu, however with ext3 or ext4, not
> zfs. And not in production, but we had a fair share of test run on it in the
> past.
>
> What is required to make it an official platform?
>
> Note that there's a different between a "supported platform" from the
> community
> standpoint and what is officially supported by Pivotal.
>
> I mean the latter. Pivotal is a Cloud company, and The Cloud in great parts
> runs on Ubuntu.

I think this ML may not be the right place to answer your question.

Thanks,
Roman (with my community hat on).

Adam Lee

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 11:16:2914.11.16
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:45:12AM -0800, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Yah – so, first off I can answer a couple of ZFS questions:
>
> 1) Full, in-kernel ZFS is available by default starting with Ubuntu 16.04
> LTS
>
> a. A new compression option lz4 is the default
>
> b. It’s otherwise identical to ZFS on Solaris 10 AFAICT
>
> 2) We’ve been using it in production for a small while now and it seems
> very stable
>
> a. By comparison BTRFS failed stress tests with data corruption and
> operational faults
>
> b. The same tests pass without incident on ZFS
>
> c. We use stress tests that exercise deep IO patterns of interest,
> including metadata traversal over 500,000 items while reading and writing, all
> in parallel
>
> And on Ubuntu – I’ve resisted it until recently, but it’s now the standard
> across cloud and application dev environments. I made my peace with it pretty
> quickly and am happier for it.
>
> But now that Ubuntu has default ZFS support – it’s a no-brainer for GPDB IMO.
> Happy to provide deeper background on that to the n00bs, but it’s a big deal
> for GPDB.
>
> - Luke

How about the performance and fragmentation issue? Both ZFS and Btrfs
are using COW allocation mechanism[1], which is their key feature but
quite not database-friendly as I know.

--
Adam Lee

Adam Lee

ungelesen,
14.11.2016, 11:29:5114.11.16
an Roman Shaposhnik, Andreas Scherbaum, Gregory Chase, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 04:00:21PM +0100, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Also, forgot to add that if you're interested in this subject, we're
> planning a Greenplum Chat
> with EPAM (the main driving force behind GPDB's community
> packaging/deployment efforts)
> sometime in Dec. CCing Greg for more details.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Interested! Packaging and deployment are very big deals for a MPP
system. Please provide more details about that. Thanks.

--
Adam Lee

Gregory Chase

ungelesen,
15.11.2016, 11:24:2815.11.16
an Roman Shaposhnik, Andreas Scherbaum, Ivan Novick, Luke Lonergan, Heikki Linnakangas, Greenplum Developers
We'll hold a Greenplum Chat Live about Greenplum in Apache BigTop on Tues, Dec 6, 9AM Pacific.

I'll send out a separate email a week before.

-Greg
--
Greg Chase

Global Head, Big Data Communities