unable to access internet via grase hotspot after 24 hours

Rishabbh A Dua

Sep 18, 2016, 7:15:07 AM9/18/16
to Grase Hotspot
Hi Experts

i am testing grase hotspot on raspberry pi 3.
With a lot of support from folks, we got it running somehow.

But during testing we saw a very peculiar issue.

After about 24 hours, we saw that a device which was earlier able to access internet via grase, now can connect with it but cant access internet.

I verified on several android mobile phones, an ubuntu desktop 16.04 LTS and a windows 10 machine

Any pointers whats happening.

Thanks
Rishabbh

Timothy White

Sep 18, 2016, 5:02:25 PM9/18/16
to Grase Hotspot
Can you please collect support information again (https://grasehotspot.org/support/collecting-support-information/).

I expect you're probably running into issues with network manager or systemd.

Can you also please provide some debug information from client devices. Show the IP address it's received, and the DNS settings it's attempting. Show us the result of pings. Show us if the redirect to the splash screen part works etc.

TIm

emre erdoğan

Sep 18, 2016, 5:58:31 PM9/18/16
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org
Rishabbhi did you solve the USB ethernet issue? May be your USB device is causing this problem.

How many devices are connecting to your network? Did you checked the free ram and disk space? What are free command and df command results?

If your client connected to the access point and got an ip addres, then what happened? Is there a redirect problem to the login screen? Or your client couldn't access to the Internet after passing login screen, was it like this?

If he can't see the login screen, there may be a DNS problem and this happens me too. So i made a cron job to restart dnsmasq service as I said before.

My device is running like this for 40 days without any problem.

Hotspotuser

Sep 20, 2016, 9:01:24 AM9/20/16
to Grase Hotspot
Did the voucher created had a expiration date?

naveed Ahmad

Jan 19, 2017, 3:48:49 AM1/19/17
to Grase Hotspot
Hi Rishabbh,

I got a RPi 3 yesterday. Now i am trying to find an ubuntu 14.04 image for pi3. but unable to get from anywhere. Can you please provide me the link?

Thanks!
Naveed

George Perlington

Jan 19, 2017, 5:12:38 AM1/19/17
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org
This is really nice job if anyone can do it . I hope successfully work . I think much better to do 16.04

emre erdoğan

Jan 19, 2017, 3:39:27 PM1/19/17
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org
You don't need Ubuntu. Latest Raspbian image is also working fine.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Actually some problems may occur about network cards. You should use the proper usb ethernet card. There is a supportted card list on the net. http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters

My advice is using a distro with GUI. If you don't, usb ethernet adapter's address may change after reboot and this will cause your LAN network stopping. A distro with GUI has a network manager to make thing easier for you. It will address the usb ethernet and it will not change.

Another problem with Pi is that it is not a production equipment. It is only for test and develop. Sometimes it needs to be reboot or restart dnsmasq service.
After some while users can not reach to the login page. DHCP is fine but DNS service is not responding somehow. After restarting DNS service (sudo service dnsmasq restart) users can reach to the login page.

The best solution I found is to transferring logged users to the Computer account. Then they will not be asked password anymore.

The main problem I couldn't solve is Android devices' https problem. Android devices are not automatically redirected to the login screen like IOS devices doing. Also most Android users not writing any web address, they just press G sign on the phone to access Internet. This opens a web browser to search with Google and it has HTTPS! So user got an IP address but no Internet! Then he calls me and I told him to open a browser, write any web address etc. I saw some hotspot systems having SSL certificate to redirect HTTPS pages (mainly google, facebook, youtube) to the login screen but there was some browser errors (like XSS attack) also.

As a result Raspberry and Grase Hotspot is working fine with some extra help. Pi is cheap and could be found in everywhere. And Grase is a miracle. Thanks to Tim!

Emre Erdogan

Timothy White

Jan 20, 2017, 6:02:15 AM1/20/17
to Grase Hotspot
On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 6:39 AM, emre erdoğan <post...@gmail.com> wrote:

The main problem I couldn't solve is Android devices' https problem. Android devices are not automatically redirected to the login screen like IOS devices doing. Also most Android users not writing any web address, they just press G sign on the phone to access Internet. This opens a web browser to search with Google and it has HTTPS! So user got an IP address but no Internet! Then he calls me and I told him to open a browser, write any web address etc. I saw some hotspot systems having SSL certificate to redirect HTTPS pages (mainly google, facebook, youtube) to the login screen but there was some browser errors (like XSS attack) also.

I'm going to guess that the reason for this is that the updated coova-chilli package hasn't been installed. There was a bug in Coova Chilli that prevented the default Android hotspot detection from working. This should be working now.

Regards

Tim

tomas213

Jan 20, 2017, 7:04:21 AM1/20/17
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org

/var/run/chilli.1247.cfg.bin   /var/run/chilli.17444.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.24447.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.3350.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.eth1.ipc   /var/run/chilli.tun0.sh
/var/run/chilli.16757.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.1960.cfg.bin   /var/run/chilli.28074.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.6328.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.eth1.pid   /var/run/chilli.tun2.sh
/var/run/chilli.16759.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.22354.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.29303.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.6330.cfg.bin  /var/run/chilli.eth1.sock

root     16759  1.1  0.8  27164  8408 ?        Ss   13:00   0:42 /usr/sbin/chilli -c /etc/chilli.conf
root     21911  0.0  0.6  27164  6124 ?        S    14:01   0:00 /usr/sbin/chilli -c /etc/chilli.conf
root     21961  0.0  0.6  27164  6124 ?        S    14:02   0:00 /usr/sbin/chilli -c /etc/chilli.conf
wifi     22043  0.0  0.2  11748  2248 pts/0    S+   14:02   0:00 grep --color=auto chilli

# THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED
cmdsocket       /var/run/chilli.eth1.sock
unixipc         chilli.eth1.ipc
pidfile         /var/run/chilli.eth1.pid
net             10.1.0.0/255.255.0.0
uamlisten       10.1.0.1
uamport         3990
dhcpif          eth1
uamallowed      "10.1.0.1,10.1.0.1,purewhite.id.au,hotspot.purewhite.id.au,grasehotspot.org"
uamanydns
domain "hotspot.lan"
dns1 "10.1.0.1"
dns2 "10.1.0.1"
uamhomepage http://10.1.0.1/grase/uam/hotspot
wwwdir /etc/chilli/www
wwwbin /etc/chilli/wwwsh
uamuiport 4990
adminuser "CoovaChilli"
adminpasswd "radmin"
locationname "GRASE HotSpot"
radiuslocationname "GRASE_HotSpot"
radiuslocationid "isocc=,cc=,ac=,network=Grase,"