Turn off DHCP for coova chilli

Joseph Opio

Sep 21, 2015, 6:12:26 AM9/21/15
to Grase Hotspot

Hello

I recently tried using grase hotspot on my network so as to control my network users from accessing anything they want on the network and allowing them to only access specific things that I wanted.

Now I get a problem where my network has a domain controller.

I failed to turn off the DHCP on grase hotspot and so decided to have my DC DHCP service turned off. It later turned out that users could not log on to the domain because it would always tell them that there are no domain controllers available.

So I need someone to assist me because I am totally new to this kind of thing and I liked it so much that is why I adopted it. I need to have the DHCP service on grase hotspot off and remain with my DC managing everything else.

Please help me with the instructions to turn off dhcp from my Ubuntu server because I tried HS_STSIP=192.168.2.2 from the chilli.conf file, someone on some forum said with this it will disable all ip address allocations right from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254

I really need your assistance

Thanks in advance

Joseph

Edward Allen

Sep 21, 2015, 8:16:12 AM9/21/15
to Grase Hotspot

You could also set the grase dhcp to hand out the server address as the first DNS

Joseph Opio

Sep 21, 2015, 10:06:02 AM9/21/15
to Grase Hotspot
How can I do that. I just wish you can help me with the step by step procedures

David Wilson

Sep 21, 2015, 6:54:05 PM9/21/15
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org
I’ve never used domain controllers for clients
Im not sure that is the best way forward, but I don’t really know your environment.

However, you can specify which DNS servers you want to use for DNS resolution by setting the DNS servers in the “Network Setting” page of the Grase admin console.

Click on the “Network settings” menu item and then there is a section for DNS servers.
You can set these here.

The clients will still query the Grase server but all requests will then be forwarded on to these DBS servers.

Dave

Joseph Opio

Sep 22, 2015, 3:12:47 AM9/22/15
to Grase Hotspot

I am a systems admin in a school and I am trying to manage bandwidth of every machine on the network but blocking out all new computers on the network from accessing internet. In some cases, I want some computers to have connectivity at specific times of the day. but now, I have failed to adapt this server to my network. when ever i try to deactivate DHCP on my DC, some machines cant log on to the domain.

This is my network topology.

I just had a view of deactivating DHCP on grase hotspot and I failed

Note that: my DC is on the same lan with every machine on the network

Thanks in advance

David Wilson

Sep 24, 2015, 9:38:44 AM9/24/15
to grase-...@grasehotspot.org
Hi Joseph,

It is not really something that Grase is currently designed to do.
But you could (if you are brave) edit the functions file in /etc/chilli/

Around about line 55

Replace

HS_DNS1=${HS_DNS1:-$HS_DNS}
HS_DNS1=${HS_DNS1:-$(grep '^nameserver' /etc/resolv.conf | head -n1 | awk '{print $2})}

with

HS_DNS1=‘192.168.2.2'
HS_DNS2=‘192.168.2.2'

In fact if you just add the last two lines and then just put a # in front of the existing ones then that will work too.

I am no Windows guru and so there is no guarantee that the DNS resolution alone will be all that you need - but it may work - or at least get you closer to a solution.
However you will also need to make Grase hand out IP’s in the same network at your DC.
You can set the LAN IP address in Grase web admin - Network Settings
and you will need to set the DHCP Start and End in Grase web admin - CovaChilli Settings so as to avoid IP address conflicts.

I have to say - I am not sure what you are doing is the best thing for what you need - but I understand that sometimes you just have to make something work with minimal investment.

Dave

Timothy White

Sep 25, 2015, 4:20:14 PM9/25/15
to Grase Hotspot
Hi Joseph

You should be able to just set the DNS servers in the Grase Hotspot Admin interface, and the Hotspot server should forward all requests to the upstream DNS server, which would be the AD server. They should then be able to login. As Dave already said, you need to ensure the DHCP is passing out the correct addresses for the AD network.

You can see from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247811 that DNS is key to finding a domain controller. So we just need to forward requests to the AD server. I don't have a test environment for this, but it should work as I work in an AD environment regularly with a DNS forwarder. The only downside to this setup is that you can't look at the AD servers DHCP leases to find a client, and clients often can't register in the AD servers DNS. These shouldn't affect clients. However, for a windows server, it may cause issues, so you should set them up statically pointing to the windows AD DNS server.

Regards

Tim