Integrating motions into traffic system

Marie-Soleil Chabot

Jul 24, 2017, 10:38:05 AM7/24/17
to Golaem List
Hello y'all,

I've had a lot of fun testing the new features of Golaem 6, including the traffic system, last week. I was trying to integrate the wheel rotation animation into the behavior graph of my car agents, but I was having trouble making sure the wheels would rotate correctly, or that my animations would transition correctly when necessary.

I was wondering if there was an official workflow for this? I need some solution ideas for both the wheel rotation when going forward and when turning as well.
Here are the idea that I had:

  • Inside a parallel operator, there could be both the traffic behavior and the motion behavior (moving forward, with wheel rotation). The problem here is that it is hard to transition from rolling to stop.
    I was wondering if there was a way to control the animation speed with the particle velocity, or the particle speed? I had already tried making a trigger to transition from ''rolling'' to ''stop'' with the particle velocity, but the transition isn't fluid at all. I would need to add a transition animation to the behavior on top of it. The issue with that is that it adapts weirdly to some specific situations (like slowing down with heavy traffic).

    Any ideas on how to do it?

Yann Pinczon du Sel

Jul 24, 2017, 11:32:21 AM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi there,
I'd suggest using the Channel Operator behavior.

Here is a (very simple) sample with our CasualCar (in the character pack).

Add a channel operator behavior on the entity, and add an output channel (click on the button "Add New Output Channel".
Now select the output channel, and configure the output channel as "Entity Bone", and extend the "Bone Orientation Attributes" to configure it as follow:
Inline image 1

Where each configured bone is the roll part for each of my car's wheels.
Add a previous input channel (click on the first green icon in the Add Previous list), and configure it as follow (the interface in Golaem 6.02 does not have the "Mel Script" button yet, as it's part of the incoming 6.1, but you don't need it):
Inline image 2

And that's it, you already have a rotating wheel...
Well, you could obviously make the input script a bit more elaborate, but you get the idea.

Now just the same steps for turning the front wheels, and you get the full bases:

(Scene is joint to this email, just replace the path to the casual car file by yours if it's installed anywhere else than the default directory.)

Stay tuned for the next step, where I'll connect the rotation with pp attributes to control the rotation speed and turn angle.

DIRECT  +33 (0)2 99 27 21 46
MAIN    +33 (0)2 99 27 21 40

yann.pin...@golaem.com
http://www.golaem.com

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidental project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

Crowd6_carWheelRotation.ma

Yann Pinczon du Sel

Jul 24, 2017, 11:33:57 AM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
While waiting for the next step:
Channel operator behavior help page: http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/channel-operator
Channel operators help page: http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/channel-operators

DIRECT  +33 (0)2 99 27 21 46
MAIN    +33 (0)2 99 27 21 40

yann.pin...@golaem.com
http://www.golaem.com

Marie-Soleil Chabot

Jul 24, 2017, 11:38:13 AM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Wow that looks great already, I'm definitely going to try it out now. Thanks a lot!
--
Marie-Soleil Chabot
CG Artist

Yann Pinczon du Sel

Jul 24, 2017, 1:20:13 PM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey again.
So here is a version that get the velocity of the entity to compute the correct wheel rotation (see the video).
The principle is quite simple: get the entity velocity from the  golaem Channel (this.entityVelocity http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/channels) in the expression of an input channel operator (http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/chop-input), and use a few channel operator to compute the rotation speed in degree-per-frame, the rest of the graph is the same as in the previous sample.

There is an accumulator in the graph that allows to store the last orientation value and add the rotation step to it before applying it.

Here is what the complete graph looks like:
Inline image 1

The scene is joint to this email as well.

Stay tuned for the next episode: driving the wheel angle from a pp attribute.

DIRECT  +33 (0)2 99 27 21 46
MAIN    +33 (0)2 99 27 21 40

yann.pin...@golaem.com
http://www.golaem.com

Crowd6_carWheelRotation2_x264.avi
Crowd6_carWheelRotation2.ma

Sallu Kazi

Jul 24, 2017, 2:18:08 PM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
That's awesome. Thanks Master Yann :)
Sallu.
m : +44 7547 253 198

w :http://www.sallukazi.com

"I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow".
-Woodrow Wilson.

Marie-Soleil Chabot

Jul 24, 2017, 2:19:23 PM7/24/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Awesome indeed. I'm trying it out right now, and so far I see good results! Yaaaay!

Thank you so much!

Yann Pinczon du Sel

Jul 25, 2017, 10:10:51 AM7/25/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi again everyone.

I managed to get something working pretty well for the wheel direction as well, but it required some fix and some addition in our channel system, and won't be available for you right now...
Here is the video anyway.

Cheers,
Yann.

DIRECT  +33 (0)2 99 27 21 46
MAIN    +33 (0)2 99 27 21 40

yann.pin...@golaem.com
http://www.golaem.com

DEMO_cityTraffic_withCarWheelRotation_cut.avi

Yann Pinczon du Sel

Aug 16, 2017, 5:07:55 AM8/16/17
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi again everyone,
As Golaem 6.1 was finally released, I'm pleased to share the scene that also allows to change the wheel direction (joint to this email)
Obviously, it needs at least Golaem 6.1... Also make sure to replace the path to the car entity type if you did not install the character pack in the default path (it's character pack 6.0.2 here, but will work with any version).

It's basically the city traffic demo with an additional Channel Operator behavior.
The graph of channel operators looks like this:
Inline image 1

Enjoy,
Yann.

DIRECT  +33 (0)2 99 27 21 46
MAIN    +33 (0)2 99 27 21 40

yann.pin...@golaem.com
http://www.golaem.com

DEMO_cityTraffic_withCarWheelRotation.ma

Tim Riley

Jul 27, 2018, 8:47:09 PM7/27/18
to Golaem List

Hi all,
I was challenged to add logic to rendering cars with working brake lights (for a night-time scene) and wanted to share my workings, in case anyone had any other experiences.
I made a Channel Operator graph, and output a PP attribute called "agentBrake", a float value between 0 (no brake) and 1 (full brake). I can preview this by displaying the PP attr, on the entityType.
Once I cached this out (be sure to add "agentBrake", as an additional PP attribute when baking), added the PP attr to the .gcha, as a shader attribute and made a shader with this attr driving the Diffuse amount, I'm able to see the brake light turning on.

Here's my ChannelOp network:

Also attaching these nodes as a .ma file

and a working archived .mb scene.
Maya 2016.5
Golaem 6.3.2
Vray 3.6
Linux

Let me know if there are any queries...or improvements that you can suggest!
Tim
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to crowd-list+...@golaem.com.

[...]

agentBrake_chOps.ma
golaem0001_crowd_carBraking_v0001.mb.zip

Oscar Marquez

Jul 29, 2018, 9:47:41 AM7/29/18
to crowd...@golaem.com
Nice Tim! thanks for sharing!

best

Felipe Verdugo

Apr 24, 2019, 7:36:53 AM4/24/19
to Golaem List
Hi guys!
I was trying this files and making my own test with the files that Tim and Yann have uploaded but this files and my old files only make Maya crash now.
I was able to use the files last year but now that I want to try them again Maya just crashes.

Maya 2017
Golaem 6.4 PLE

Any advice?

Thanks
Felipe
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to crowd...@golaem.com.

This email and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of email cannot be guaranteed.

Nicolas Chaverou

Apr 24, 2019, 7:39:42 AM4/24/19
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi,

We fixed a crash related to this scene in Golaem 6.4.2, please update your version of Golaem to see if this fixes the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Best,

King Kodo

Jun 4, 2021, 6:26:47 AMJun 4
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou
Hi. i know this thread is pretty old, but i tried implementing tim's brake light example into my traffic but can't seem to get it to work. using maya 2020, golaem 7.3.10 ple

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 4, 2021, 6:47:15 AMJun 4
to King Kodo, Golaem List
Hey there,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 12:19 PM King Kodo <fxma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. i know this thread is pretty old, but i tried implementing tim's brake light example into my traffic but can't seem to get it to work. using maya 2020, golaem 7.3.10 ple

The approach within 7.3.10 will be quite similar to what's described here
I'd recommend using the Visual Debugger to figure if the values are passed correctly in the ChOp Behavior first and see how it goes
If still having issues, please provide more details so we can try providing some relevant help

Best,

King Kodo

Jun 4, 2021, 1:11:23 PMJun 4
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, King Kodo
Hi nicolas, i used the visual debugger like you suggested and the values are not being passed. i'm kinda new to golaem and i dont know where to begin to debug the issue. everything looks right as i basically copied and pasted what was in tims file. i did the same for yanns example and it worked. Thanks

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 8, 2021, 11:36:45 AMJun 8
to King Kodo, Golaem List
Hey there,

Maybe you should start familiarizing yourself with the Channel Operators first
We have a series of tutorials which details how they work here : http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/channel-operators-1
Let you check those and if that does not help, let us know and we'll check the scene

King Kodo

Jun 9, 2021, 11:56:40 AMJun 9
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, King Kodo
thanks nicolas. quick question please, can i render with unreal engine 4.26 sequencer? nothing seems to happen when i place the golaem cache in the sequencer, or is this a limitation of PLE?

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 9, 2021, 12:09:41 PMJun 9
to King Kodo, Golaem List
Hey,
Let's keep threads centered on their topic :)
Can you please create a new thread for this question and include all details : Golaem version, Maya version...