Golaem renders only one entitytype correctly

drkx....@t-online.de

Aug 20, 2021, 5:46:20 AM8/20/21
to Golaem List

When rendering, only the first character displays correctly. From the second entitytype on, the texture seems to flip or rotate. It does not help to reverse the order of the entity types or to use other characters. Alicia_Error4.pngAlicia_Error5.png

Alexandre Pillon

Aug 20, 2021, 5:54:04 AM8/20/21
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi,

It is a bit difficult to help from only the description and these images.

Could you mention which render / maya version / golaem version you are using?
Could you check the script editor and output window for any error message?

How are the characters defined in the character maker? Are they all in the same gcha with variations? Or each one in his own gcha?
Many people around the world are rendering correctly with 2 different EntityTypes in the scene, so I am trying to understand what is the particular condition which makes you encounter this problem.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidential project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

drkx....@t-online.de

Aug 23, 2021, 5:09:24 AM8/23/21
to Golaem List, Alexandre Pillon
Dear Alex,
for many years, I set up my Maya characters in the same way. There's a body mesh, a head mesh and so on. One of the Golaem tutorials on assets conversion gives the advise to remove namespaces. This made me think that naming doesn't matter. But in fact it does. I'm using unique names now, and this solved my problem. But why is it that I am the only guy in the world who encountered a problem like this? I guess many make use of characters from the character pack, and the geometry of these characters makes extensive use of prefixes. My characters had a "head", whereas i.e. the character pack casual man has a "MAN_MD_body_head". That's why you can load several characters from the character pack without running into problems with object names.
Alicia_Error6.png
Cheers
Rainer

drkx....@t-online.de

Aug 23, 2021, 5:09:27 AM8/23/21
to Golaem List, Alexandre Pillon
I did some more testing. I'm absolutely sure that characters must not have identical shader names. In my case, each of my maya character files comprised a "aiBody" shader node. When rendering, Golaem displays the character with the right texture, but smashes the UVs, beginning with the second entity type. Making the shader names unique, i.e. "aiAlicia_Body", did the trick.

Nicolas Chaverou

Aug 23, 2021, 5:17:28 AM8/23/21
to Golaem List, Alexandre Pillon
Hey there,

See answers inline below

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:09 AM drkx....@t-online.de <drkx....@t-online.de> wrote:
Dear Alex,
for many years, I set up my Maya characters in the same way. There's a body mesh, a head mesh and so on. One of the Golaem tutorials on assets conversion gives the advise to remove namespaces.

I think that tutorial refers to maya namespaces such as namespace:meshName
As Maya namespaces can be quite inconsistent from one asset to another (or if your file name changes), we advise not to use them indeed

This made me think that naming doesn't matter. But in fact it does. I'm using unique names now, and this solved my problem. But why is it that I am the only guy in the world who encountered a problem like this? I guess many make use of characters from the character pack, and the geometry of these characters makes extensive use of prefixes.

Not really, the character pack is used on small projects here but a huge majority of our customers are using their own assets
From what we can see when they share their assets, shader / mesh / texture are all identified by unique namings. The don't have such thing as bodyMaterial but rather charA_bodyMatA
I guess this makes it easier when they need to assemble scenes with multiple characters and make sure they don't get any conflicts and so on

Glad you solved your issue :)
Hope it makes sense

Best,