(#765) Stairs...

A52

May 18, 2022, 3:06:12 PM5/18/22
to crowd...@golaem.com, bry...@a52.com
Submitted on Wednesday, May 18, 2022 - 20:21
Submitted by anonymous user: 173.171.166.98
Submitted values are:

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Cox
Company: A52
Subject: Stairs...
Details: I'm hoping to make characters look more natural going up and down
stairs. As of now, they kind of "pop up" on every step as they
ascend/descend. Is there a way for each foot to read the steps so they hit
each one and not the full character to move up as a whole? Or something to
that effect?

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
https://golaem.com/node/250/submission/5840

Nicolas Chaverou

May 19, 2022, 10:29:35 AM5/19/22
to crowd...@golaem.com, bry...@a52.com
Hey Bryan

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 9:06 PM A52 <bry...@a52.com> wrote:
Submitted on Wednesday, May 18, 2022 - 20:21
Submitted by anonymous user: 173.171.166.98
Submitted values are:

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Cox
Company: A52
Details: I'm hoping to make characters look more natural going up and down
stairs.  As of now, they kind of "pop up" on every step as they
ascend/descend.  Is there a way for each foot to read the steps so they hit
each one and not the full character to move up as a whole?  Or something to
that effect?

You could probably hack the perception somehow to figure out where the stairs are and trigger some relatike IK but to be honest it'll a lot of setup for a pretty hacky system
The ways we advise to deal with stairs is:

- if your characters are not close to the camera : use a slope geometry in the Terrain Node instead of the stair geo to approximate the stair geometry so you don't have the popup anymore
You may end up with feet geo colliding with the stair geo. If that's critical, you can probably run some physics collision as well on top of it
You may also want to increase ground adaptation frequency and run it at every frame:

- if they are close to the camera, the only way to get a nice result is to have a dedicated motion adapted to your stair steps (going up and down)
Then you can use a SyncMotion Behavior to sync the motion clips in the environment

Let us know if that's good enough for your production requirements
Best,

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidential project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com