// Error: line 1: Invalid file type specified: FBX export

Oscar Márquez

Oct 13, 2014, 11:15:33 AM10/13/14
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi!
// Error: line 1: Invalid file type specified: FBX export when I try to ssave from the asset manager the fbx geometry file.

do you know what I'm making wrong?

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 13, 2014, 11:21:42 AM10/13/14
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi Oscar,

We've been reported that problem but we were never able to reproduce it.
It seems to be related to your current FBX Export settings.

Two way to solve that:
- Export your character yourself from the Maya Export tool (then you'll be able to load it in the Assets Manager)
- Deleting your maya prefs

Let us know if it helps,
N.

Oscar Márquez

Oct 15, 2014, 8:30:50 AM10/15/14
to crowd...@golaem.com
yes thanks it seems to be a export settings issue!

best!
--
OSCAR MARQUEZ
CG Supervisor

Edwin Wiersma

Mar 3, 2024, 5:11:31 PMMar 3
to Golaem List, Oscar Márquez
Hi all,

I have just discovered a bug in Maya 2023.3 in regards to the error: " Invalid file type specified: FBX export" which might also be causing this error.

In Maya "Windows > Settings/Preferences >  Preferences" in the "File/Projects" category:
Changing the "File Dialog > Dialog Style" option between "OS Native" and "Maya Default" has additional unforeseen consequences.

When saving a Maya Scene with a Referenced Fbx file using "OS Native" this will result in the following Maya command:
- "file -rdi 1 -ns "testFile" -rfn "testFileRN" -typ "Fbx" "C:/testFile.fbx";"

When saving a Maya Scene with a Referenced Fbx file using  "Maya Default" this will result  in the following Maya command:
- "file -rdi 1 -ns "testFile" -rfn "testFileRN" -typ "FBX export" "C:/testFile.fbx";"

The difference is in the "-typ" argument for the reference node, this is passed by the File Dialog which will use it's File Type Extension. Windows will pass: "Fbx", Maya will pass:  "FBX export". Now while this is weird, it's not necessarily a problem.

The problem arises when using the "OS Native" Dialog Style and opening a file saved with "Maya Default". For whatever reason this seems to initialize the same Fbx Importer plugin but it no longer recognizes references of type "FBX export" resulting in the error:
- "Invalid file type specified: FBX export"

When using the "Maya Default" Maya seems able to read references of both types:  "Fbx""FBX export", however sometimes the user is not able to use "Maya Default" due to severe performance issues.

Resetting a user's preferences does reset to  "Maya Default" resolving the issues. The issue will return when switching back to "Maya Default" .

 I really hope Autodesk will enable the importer to read "FBX export" when using the  "OS Native" Dialog Style.

As a workaround you would be able to switch to "Maya Default" Dialog Style in the "SceneOpened" callback, then switching back to "OS Native" Dialog Style in the "PostSceneRead" call back if the user was using "OS Native".

Enjoy!