Golaem USD import issue

Kang Joo

Oct 20, 2021, 1:44:53 AM10/20/21
to Golaem List
I have a question about golaemusda.

Currently, our company is conducting a test on Golaem USD.

After exporting USD (usda) to Golaem, we would like to import usd from Maya.

When importing, we would like to import with Create> Universal Scene Description (USD).

Basically, if you import usda, it doesn't become impor.

Do we need to set up the environment or install plug-ins?

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 20, 2021, 3:25:18 AM10/20/21
to Golaem List
Hey there,

Can you provide more details about your environment please ?
I'd need Maya version, Golaem version, which Maya For USD plugin are you using (Autodesk, Animal Logic, Pixar, custom...) and which version of the Maya For USD plugin is it
Finally, are you trying to use Golaem USD Procedural or Golaem USD Skeleton export ?

Best,

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidential project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

Kang Joo

Oct 20, 2021, 3:40:55 AM10/20/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou
The version I'm using is...

maya 2022.1
mayaUsdPlugin 0.12.0

When I exported the Golaem USD skeleton, I checked that it was exported.

Data that exported usda through renderProxy did not become an import.

2021년 10월 20일 수요일 오후 4시 25분 18초 UTC+9에 nicolas.chaverou님이 작성:

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 20, 2021, 3:46:14 AM10/20/21
to Kang Joo, Golaem List
Hey there,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:40 AM Kang Joo <vfxc...@gmail.com> wrote:
The version I'm using is...

maya 2022.1
mayaUsdPlugin 0.12.0

I'm still missing the Golaem version please ?

When I exported the Golaem USD skeleton, I checked that it was exported.
Data that exported usda through renderProxy did not become an import.

So which one would you like to import in Maya ?
Best,

Kang Joo

Oct 20, 2021, 3:50:40 AM10/20/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, Kang Joo

Golaem 8.0.2

I want to export the usda file from renderProxy to usdimport from Maya.

The reason is that our company's render team rends to Maya and wants to receive data through usd.
2021년 10월 20일 수요일 오후 4시 46분 14초 UTC+9에 nicolas.chaverou님이 작성:

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 20, 2021, 5:03:47 AM10/20/21
to Kang Joo, Golaem List
Hey there

Ok thanks for the info
Feel free to directly use our support form for the next support request, it'll ask all required info :)

I just checked Autodesk Maya USD plugin and here are the results

- USD Skel: i tried loading a Golaem USD Skel cache - it creates the characters with the right geometry assignment and skeleton but they are not animated
I also tried loading a Pixar reference asset for USD Skel animation and it is not working neither (you can find it here: https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/downloads.html)

- USD Proc: for Golaem USD Procedural plugin to work within Maya USD, we need to compile a new version of this plugin within Maya USD version
The procedural feature has been introduced in a recent version of USD which is not supported by the Maya USD version yet
This will probably be updated in a future version of Maya but for now this will not be available

From our experience, the Maya USD plugin is still very immature and will not be able to load Golaem Entities
You would still have the option to bake the animated geometries as USD point caches but it'll very heavy and not efficient
Katana and Houdini Solaris integration are way better if you'd like to experiment an USD pipeline within Golaem

To be honest, if you're staying within Maya, I'd recommend using Golaem tools to display and render crowds instead of moving to USD for the crowds
Is there a specific reason you're looking to have Golaem entities as USD objects within Maya ?
Maybe we can come with a different solution

Best,

Kang Joo

Oct 20, 2021, 9:37:49 PM10/20/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, Kang Joo
The method of using this method is to proceed with rendering using maya and vray in-house because they want to receive data from each part in USD.

Other parts seem to have prepared all the usd data, but a request was made to check if crowd was also possible.

I've been testing vrscene for vray so far, so usd is looking at it additionally.

If I deliver crowd publish data through vrscene, I think I want to improve this part because lighting team cannot check the data I deliver on the work viewport.

(Is there a way to check vrscene in the form of a bounding box or geometry on the Maya viewport?)
2021년 10월 20일 수요일 오후 6시 3분 47초 UTC+9에 nicolas.chaverou님이 작성:

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 21, 2021, 2:47:54 AM10/21/21
to Kang Joo, Golaem List
Hey there,

See inlined below :

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 3:37 AM Kang Joo <vfxc...@gmail.com> wrote:
The method of using this method is to proceed with rendering using maya and vray in-house because they want to receive data from each part in USD.
Other parts seem to have prepared all the usd data, but a request was made to check if crowd was also possible.

Ok I get it
Another solution will be to bake the geometry then from a dedicated USD tool but it'll have the same inconveniences than Alembic / FBX: it'll generate huge dataset and it'll be super slow to open / save / edit

I've been testing vrscene for vray so far, so usd is looking at it additionally.
If I deliver crowd publish data through vrscene, I think I want to improve this part because lighting team cannot check the data I deliver on the work viewport.

Maybe you can publish the Golaem Cache and the lighting team could use the Golaem Simulation Cache Proxy node to replay it?
It uses our Lite License which is cheaper than the main simulation license and it allows to see the crowds in an interactive and non destructive way

(Is there a way to check vrscene in the form of a bounding box or geometry on the Maya viewport?)

I'm not an expert in vrscene file format I'm afraid
I'd recommend getting in touch with the Chaos Groupe support team which will probably be able to help more here :)

Hope that helps

Kang Joo

Oct 21, 2021, 4:06:46 AM10/21/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, Kang Joo
First of all, we're going to test using cache Proxy.

In order to import shader, texture data in this state, do I have to import all of these assets? Is there a way to bring only shader information without exporting the assets?

I think that if I import all the assets, the shot could be heavy, so I'm asking just in case.

2021년 10월 21일 목요일 오후 3시 47분 54초 UTC+9에 nicolas.chaverou님이 작성:

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 21, 2021, 4:13:25 AM10/21/21
to Kang Joo, Golaem List
Hey there,

See inlined below:

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:06 AM Kang Joo <vfxc...@gmail.com> wrote:
First of all, we're going to test using cache Proxy.

In order to import shader, texture data in this state, do I have to import all of these assets? Is there a way to bring only shader information without exporting the assets?

No you can just have the shaders in the scene but they have to be applied to some geometry to be "active"
One can just assign them per face to a sphere for example

Let me know if that makes sense
Best,

Kang Joo

Oct 22, 2021, 4:48:15 AM10/22/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Golaem List, Kang Joo
I'll test it out. And regarding vrscene,

As far as I've checked, vrscene is known to be expressed in a bounding box or proxy mesh for objects such as general mesh, but I don't think golaemcache is expressed.

That's why I asked you a question about vrscene.

2021년 10월 21일 목요일 오후 5시 13분 25초 UTC+9에 nicolas.chaverou님이 작성:

Alexandre Pillon

Oct 22, 2021, 5:53:29 AM10/22/21
to Golaem List, nicolas.chaverou, Kang Joo
Hi,

In your vrscene you should find something similar to the text below referencing the Golaem character proxy
It is not the real character geometry but just something calling our procedural with the right arguments, then feeding vray memory with the character geo and shaders assignments

Cheers,
Alex

Node DEMO_cityLocomotion_renderProxyShape1@node
{
transform=Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0));
geometry=DEMO_cityLocomotion_renderProxyShape1@mesh1;
visible=1;
}

GolaemCrowd DEMO_cityLocomotion_renderProxyShape1@mesh1
{
proxyMatrix=interpolate(
(1, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(2, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(3, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(4, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(1996, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(1997, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(1998, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(1999, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0))),
(2000, Transform(Matrix(Vector(1, 0, 0), Vector(0, 1, 0), Vector(0, 0, 1)), Vector(0, 0, 0)))
);
frameOffset=0;
crowdField="crowdField1";
cacheName="DEMO_cityLocomotion";
cacheFileDir="C:/Users/apillon/Documents/maya/projects/default/export/DEMO_cityLocomotion/cache";
proxyName="renderProxyShape1";
characterFiles="C:/Golaem/GolaemCharacterPack-7.3.9/golaem/characters/CasualMan_Light.gcha";
layoutEnable=1;
layoutFile="C:/Users/apillon/Documents/maya/projects/default/export/DEMO_cityLocomotion/cache/vray/layout.gscl";
terrainFile="";
motionBlurEnable=0;
subdivisionEnable=0;
subdivideUVs=1;
classicCatClark=0;
preserveMapBorders=1;
staticSubdiv=0;
overrideGlobalSubQual=0;
viewDep=1;
edgeLength=4;
maxSubdivs=4;
cameraVisibility=1;
reflectionsVisibility=1;
refractionsVisibility=1;
giVisibility=1;
shadowsVisibility=1;
frustumCullingEnable=0;
frustumMargin=10;
cameraMargin=10;
LODEnable=0;
defaultMaterial="crowdProxyDefaultShader";
objectIdBase=666;
objectIdMode=0;
renderPercent=100;
geometryTag=0;
instancingEnable=1;
shadingNamespaces="";
lights=ListString(
);
dirmap="";
logLevel=1;
dccPackage=1;
}

Nicolas Chaverou

Oct 25, 2021, 3:42:13 AM10/25/21
to Kang Joo, Golaem List
Hey there,

To be able to render crowd entities in an efficient way, we use procedural rendering within Vray (and other rendering engines too)

This means the full geometry is only created at render time
In other rendering engines there're some features which allow to "expand" procedural primitives and see how the geometry looks like
Procedural rendering is a native Vray mechanism so maybe there are ways to do it too but this feature will be avail on the rendering engine side :)

Hope it makes sense