PopTool slots orienting as locators

llorenç borras guardiola

May 29, 2020, 11:40:19 AM5/29/20
to Golaem List

Is there a way to create some locators each with its orientation and when creating a PopTool selecting all the locators each slot takes the orientation of its corresponding locator?

Nicolas Chaverou

May 29, 2020, 11:51:52 AM5/29/20
to Golaem List
Hi,

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM llorenç borras guardiola <llor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a way to create some locators each with its orientation and when creating a PopTool selecting all the locators each slot takes the orientation of its corresponding locator?

I'm afraid not
But the popTool just emits particles with a vector 3 attribute storing the orientation
You can alter this yourself once emitted with a quick MEL / Python script
You can also use the Adaptorientation Behavior at the first frame to set the orientation of your Character

Best,

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidential project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

llorenç borras guardiola

May 29, 2020, 1:16:53 PM5/29/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
I didn´t explain well sorry. The idea is to do close combat shots but not using simulation like in this tutorial  http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/creating-synchronized-close-combat-actions  . I would like to do this but with the layout, placing locators first, orienting them, create a Poptool using these locators and then using the SnapTo to place the caché characters. But this only takes the position of locators but not their orientations. I just wanted to know if there was any way to can get the orientation of the locators and put that into the slots orientation using just the Layout nodes.

Thanks,

Llorenç

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 2, 2020, 5:22:58 AM6/2/20
to Golaem List
Hey Llorenç,

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:16 PM llorenç borras guardiola <llor...@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn´t explain well sorry. The idea is to do close combat shots but not using simulation like in this tutorial  http://golaem.com/content/doc/golaem-crowd-documentation/creating-synchronized-close-combat-actions  . I would like to do this but with the layout, placing locators first, orienting them, create a Poptool using these locators and then using the SnapTo to place the caché characters. But this only takes the position of locators but not their orientations. I just wanted to know if there was any way to can get the orientation of the locators and put that into the slots orientation using just the Layout nodes.

Ok that's clearer.
I'm afraid this is not possible yet with the Population Tool but I'll add this to our todo list
If you're in Layout, you can still add some Rotate Nodes to your character (you can use the Python APi to automatize this for example)

Hope that helps

Nicolas Chaverou

Apr 14, 2021, 2:11:12 PM4/14/21
to Golaem List
Hey Llorenç,

Just to let you know that now the Object placement mode of the popTool takes the object orientation into account for the slot forward orientation

2021-04-14 20_09_22-Autodesk Maya 2018 - Not for Resale_ N__tests_nicolas_scenes_frontPopToolTODELET.png

Hope that helps
Best,

Oscar Marquez

Apr 14, 2021, 4:18:52 PM4/14/21
to crowd...@golaem.com

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 4, 2021, 10:30:41 AM6/4/21
to Golaem List
Hey there,
Quick email to let you that we released Golaem 7.3.11 which adds support for object orientation when using the Component PopTool
On a more general note, this release fixes a pretty important memory leak when in Cache Replay so we advise to switch to it asap.

You can check the Release Notes here: http://releasenotes.golaem.com
And download the packages here: http://packages.golaem.com

Let us know how it goes.
Hope that helps.