Golaem -> USD

Tim Riley

Sep 7, 2018, 5:49:04 PM9/7/18
to Golaem List

Hi guys,

not sure who else has been using USD?

We have begun integration with our pipeline at Method, for environments, and found the performance to be excellent.

Wondering what it would take to get Golaem caches into the USD formats?

To promote some (healthy) competition, I provide this example, from Atoms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECS-ntgnf24

regards

Tim

Tim Riley  Head of Crowds Dept
Vancouver, BC
METHODSTUDIOS
LA / NY / ATL / VAN / MEL / SYD / PUNE
This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.

Nicolas Chaverou

Sep 10, 2018, 7:00:26 AM9/10/18
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey Tim,

Thanks for throwing this thread.
Answers inlined below:

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 11:49 PM, Tim Riley <tim....@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

not sure who else has been using USD?

Would love to know this as well
Pretty sure the nice people of Rodeo are leveraging some stuff within USD

We have begun integration with our pipeline at Method, for environments, and found the performance to be excellent.

Can you provide more details about the workflow and process
Have you compiled it yourself at Method or are you using existing tools / plugins
Speaking about environments, how does USD perform with instances ?

Wondering what it would take to get Golaem caches into the USD formats?

Would take to compile USD first (which AFAIK is not an easy task, especially on Windows) and then figure out where to plug ourselves
Based on what's available, caches could be converted to USDSkel and we could bake somehow geo / shading variation
AFAIK USDSkel only supports skinning and blendshapes for now but what if we add more rig deformers (lattide, ffd...). What about cloth caches also ? That would mean baking these out as geo...

Thing is: at the end of day, that would mean baking stuff and as always with baking I'm kinda concerned about performances and workflow
Every time a new edit will be made, it'll have to be baked again...

To be honest, I was hoping USD to introduce a way to write USDProcedural and write a one time plugin which will be supported by all rendering engines supporting USD
Unfortunately I haven't heard about anything like this so far

What would be your thoughts ?
How would Method benefit from an USD support ?
What would you like to be able to do that you can't right now ?

To promote some (healthy) competition, I provide this example, from Atoms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECS-ntgnf24

It performs quite fast with 25 characters... I'd love to know how it goes with 25k

But as always, it's a Python script to do the job.
You could write something similar with Golaem if you'd like
Our Python module should give you all the accesses you're looking for :)

I wanted to take a look at the example scene but I can't access it
Anyone else having this issue

--
Note that crowd...@golaem.com is a public list.
If for any reason (confidental project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

Dave Allen

Sep 10, 2018, 12:05:43 PM9/10/18
to Golaem List

I wanted to take a look at the example scene but I can't access it
Anyone else having this issue

broke.

Tim Riley

Sep 10, 2018, 3:50:11 PM9/10/18
to crowd...@golaem.com

Hey all,

I spoke to Toolchefs and they said testing with 2.5k agents - the whole USDskel skinning thing ground to a halt - it's not feasible to skin that much live geometry.

So it might actually be red herring to follow this development, unless a USDProcedural can be made.

Try this link, to download the Atoms example:

https://toolchefs.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ASD/blog/2018/09/03/198737921/Atoms+Cache+To+USD?preview=%2F198737921%2F198082575%2FatomsCacheToUsd.zip

Nicolas, to answer your questions:

Method has compiled the release USD, as well as have our own version with minor changes to the code. We are looking into AL_USDMaya as a replacement for Pixar's USD plugin.
Very good, native instancing ( ie Referencing instancing ) is good, but using the PointInstancer schema is very fast, easily hosting hundreds of millions of instances.
Viewport performance drops off after 20,000 complex instances, and so bounding box mode must be employed for data sizes larger than that.

It might be worthwhile, to have a look at the .usd format, to see if it can be converted to a .gtg file, for terrain adapation.

best regards

Tim

Tim Riley  Head of Crowds Dept
Vancouver, BC
METHODSTUDIOS
LA / NY / ATL / VAN / MEL / SYD / PUNE

Sep 11, 2018, 6:13:39 AM9/11/18
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 9:50 PM, Tim Riley <tim....@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Hey all,

I spoke to Toolchefs and they said testing with 2.5k agents - the whole USDskel skinning thing ground to a halt - it's not feasible to skin that much live geometry.

I'm not surprised at all :)

So it might actually be red herring to follow this development, unless a USDProcedural can be made.

I'll probably propose a specification for such a thing.
Let's see where it goes

Try this link, to download the Atoms example:

https://toolchefs.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ASD/blog/2018/09/03/198737921/Atoms+Cache+To+USD?preview=%2F198737921%2F198082575%2FatomsCacheToUsd.zip

Nicolas, to answer your questions:

Method has compiled the release USD, as well as have our own version with minor changes to the code. We are looking into AL_USDMaya as a replacement for Pixar's USD plugin.
Very good, native instancing ( ie Referencing instancing ) is good, but using the PointInstancer schema is very fast, easily hosting hundreds of millions of instances.
Viewport performance drops off after 20,000 complex instances, and so bounding box mode must be employed for data sizes larger than that.

It might be worthwhile, to have a look at the .usd format, to see if it can be converted to a .gtg file, for terrain adapation.

Well... I can't see much of an advantage to use USD instead of our own format
Except if I missed anything ?

Best,

[ CAUTION ]

DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders. Only respond if you can validate the senders legitimacy.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.

Nicolas Chaverou

Jan 17, 2020, 6:06:35 AM1/17/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey

Upping that thread about USD as we released a Golaem For USD procedural plugin as part of our 7.2.1 release which takes advantage of the USD Dynamic Payloads (instead of USD Skel). We wrote an overview tutorial here: http://usd.golaem.com

You can download the package here: http://packages.golaem.com
Complete Release Notes: http://releasenotes.golaem.com

Let us know if you have any feedback / questions about it!
Best,

Hey,

[...]

swamif...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2020, 10:58:32 AM1/28/20
to Golaem List
I have successfully exported from maya some Golaem usd files. I am not able to import those usd files into Katana v3.5.
I can open other USD scene files in Katana.
I think the problem is caused because Katana doesnt know where to find the Golaem for USD plugins.
So how do i make the Golaem for USD plugin work with Katana?

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 4:36:35 PM UTC+5:30, nicolas.chaverou wrote:
Hey

Upping that thread about USD as we released a Golaem For USD procedural plugin as part of our 7.2.1 release which takes advantage of the USD Dynamic Payloads (instead of USD Skel). We wrote an overview tutorial here: http://usd.golaem.com

You can download the package here: http://packages.golaem.com
Complete Release Notes: http://releasenotes.golaem.com

Let us know if you have any feedback / questions about it!
Best,

Hey,

Nicolas Chaverou

Jan 28, 2020, 11:00:59 AM1/28/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi,

Please check the documentation:

There're some environment variables to set for Dccs to be able to find the Golaem plugin

best,
If for any reason (confidential project, sending production files...) you need to post a private message to Golaem Support, please use http://support.golaem.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Golaem List" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/golaem.com/d/msgid/crowd-list/30757aaa-7ed4-4d47-8c5e-b927255684b8%40golaem.com.

swamif...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2020, 11:31:47 AM1/28/20
to Golaem List
I have already tried according to the link you sent.
I think the problem is that Katana has its own built in version of USD. So there must me some other environment variables for Katana.
I think the environment variables that are in that link are for a Standalone build of USD.

Nicolas Chaverou

Jan 28, 2020, 11:34:49 AM1/28/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 5:31 PM <swamif...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have already tried according to the link you sent.
I think the problem is that Katana has its own built in version of USD. So there must me some other environment variables for Katana.
I think the environment variables that are in that link are for a Standalone build of USD.

Those environment variables work for USD Stand Alone indeed but also USD For Maya, Houdini Solaris, Arnold...
Maybe compilation options are different in Katana than in our plugin
We'll take a look when we will have some time

Best,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/golaem.com/d/msgid/crowd-list/be865221-9c53-4304-a09d-a76bacfa9c0e%40golaem.com.

David Raymond

Jan 28, 2020, 11:52:47 AM1/28/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hi ! Just to let you know that we are also investigating the same issue right now on katana. We'll keep you posted if we succeed.

RODEO FX
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Vimeo Instagram
David Raymond
Crowd Lead | Generalist

dray...@rodeofx.com
514.397.9999 ext.324

www.rodeofx.com

David Raymond

Jan 28, 2020, 1:40:16 PM1/28/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Well first thing that we found out is that katana is not using the same environment variable than the others.
FNPXR_PLUGINPATH instead of PXR_PLUGINPATH_NAME.

But it does not resolve everything on our side though ...

RODEO FX
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Vimeo Instagram
David Raymond
Crowd Lead | Generalist

dray...@rodeofx.com
514.397.9999 ext.324

www.rodeofx.com

David Raymond

Nicolas Chaverou

Jan 29, 2020, 5:51:44 AM1/29/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey David,

Thanks for the heads up
We'll make a dedicated build when we'll get a chance.
Keep you posted

Nicolas Chaverou

Mar 10, 2020, 6:44:53 AM3/10/20
to crowd...@golaem.com
Hey guys,

Just to let you know that we released Golaem 7.3 which includes support for USD in Katana 3.5.

Hope that's helpful.

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 23, 2020, 10:11:56 AM6/23/20
to Golaem List
Hey,

Just to let you know that we released Golaem 7.3.3 officially which adds support of USDSkel export.
From 7.3 we also added a USDProc exporter but within 7.3.3 we decided to add an alternative way to export crowds for USD
USD Skel is less versatile than USD Proc but it could be good enough for some usages (rendering within Unity or Clarisse).

You can download the packages here: http://packages.golaem.com
And find the complete Release Notes there: http://releasenotes.golaem.com

Hope that helps,

Nicolas Chaverou

Jun 21, 2021, 2:11:41 PM6/21/21
to Golaem List
Hey there,

Ok I guess your message regarding USD related to this previous question
For Katana 3.5, we now have a dedicated USD plugin to support USD Proc
You can grab this plugin on our packages website: http://download.golaem.com

As it is a plugin it needs to be added to the Katana USD environment using the FNPXR_PLUGINPATH environment variable

Feel free to start a new thread dedicated to your setup / issues so we can check what's going on ?