recommended locale not supported ubuntu focal

Simon Leary

Jul 29, 2022, 1:51:17 PM7/29/22
to Discuss
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for installation questions, let me know if it isn't.

I'm following the globus connect server install guide, and it says:
> For RedHat, CentOS, and Fedora systems, you can use the en_US.UTF-8 locale, and for Debian and Ubuntu systems, you can use the C.UTF-8 locale.
I'm using ubuntu, but `locale-gen C.UTF-8` comes back with `Error: 'C.UTF-8' is not a supported language or locale`.
And `dpkg-reconfigure locales` takes me to a TUI where I can scroll through a long list of region specific locales built into ubuntu, and C.UTF8 isn't one of them.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I use `en_US.UTF8` for Ubuntu?

Simon

Karl Kornel

Jul 29, 2022, 4:48:44 PM7/29/22
to Simon Leary, Discuss

Hi Simon,

en_US.utf8 should be fine, but here’s something you can check: Does C.UTF-8 appear in the output of `locale -a`?  I had an Ubuntu 16.04 VM, which has C.UTF-8 listed.

I did some searching around, and I think that `locale-gen` won’t recognize C.UTF-8 because a Debian/Ubuntu system ships with C.UTF-8 already built and ready to use, and the other (non-C) locales might need to be built (with `locale-gen`).  As for why `dpkg-reconfigure locales` doesn’t show C.UTF-8, that might be because C.UTF-8 is meant to be a minimal locale with UTF-8 support, and shouldn’t be used by users directly.

So it would be interesting to check if `locale -a` includes C.UTF-8 on your system!

~ Karl