Check if endpoint or collection is accessible

David Deepwell

Jun 29, 2022, 1:00:02 PM6/29/22
to Discuss
Hi,

Is there a command to check if a collection or an endpoint is accessible before initiating a transfer? I recently initiated a small transfer and was surprised when it was taking a while. Not until I looked at the event log did I notice that I received a message saying:
The Globus Connect Personal endpoint ‘My endpoint (end-point-uuid)' is not currently connected to Globus

I came across the command "globus endpoint is-activated”, but activation is separate from connection.

Buried in the output of "globus endpoint show”, is the line "GCP Connected: False” which is what I’m looking for. However this is only applicable for GCP and I’m wondering if there is a way to check that any two endpoints of a transfer are connected to Globus and accessible by me before running the transfer. I am thinking of this in a scripted context where I may run a number of transfers to various endpoints at various times. It’d be nice to know that the transfer will not succeed for these simple reasons before attempting the transfer.

Cheers,
David

David Deepwell, PhD
Software Developer
Research Computing Services
Department of Information Technologies
University of Calgary
david.d...@ucalgary.ca

James Kube

Jul 5, 2022, 4:57:34 PM7/5/22
to David Deepwell, Discuss
Good Afternoon David,

Replying here in addition to your ticket; In this scenario, we would recommend leveraging Globus' directory listing capability (eg. `globus ls ${collectionUUID}`) to determine if the Endpoint is online and accessible.

Thank you,
James
--
James Kube