Have a collection on a universitry computer. Trying to connect using Gloubus Personal Connect to a local remote hard drive for backup. Transfer wont start

Rich Gustafson

Jun 19, 2021, 10:45:11 PM6/19/21
to Discuss
I have a Globus connection to my university supercomputer which I am authorized to use.  I also have Globus personal connnect on my laptop with an external hard disk for backup. Windows10 64 bit machine using Google Chrome brwoser.   I start Globus Personal Connect.  Then I go to Left side and click on appropriate university machine and ftn transfer point in the collection list.  I list my own directory on the path as /path, ./path/user/my_user_name/ (as an exmaple).  I then go to the right side and select the local endpoint name, and type in the directory I wish to connect to. e.g /D/path_to_backup_to/  The start button on the left does not light up, and the green tansfer requrest doe not show.  If I look to the endpoint on the personal computer, it lists One Drive as the only file showing.  I want nothing to do with One Drive.  If I type in the correct parh for the data source and path to the data receiving the transfer it stays in, but when I try to click the blue (not-highlighted) link, the paths I typed in disappear.  I did start this transfer a couple of times, previously, but now it does not seem to work. The Globus Tutorial Endpoint  1 to Globus Tutorial Endpoint 2 example,  it seems to work OK.  If I can't get this to work, I am going to lose a lot of data.  Can someone help?

Alan Sill

Jun 20, 2021, 8:44:09 AM6/20/21
to Rich Gustafson, Alan Sill, Discuss
It appears you may have missed performing the “configuration” step to choose the locations on your Globus Connect Personal endpoint that will be visible to use on your endpoint. Please review the instructions at the link below to see if they can help with this step.

You may also wish to review the FAQ section of the Globus support information at

Hope this helps.
Alan