Pause globus transfert with schedule or cli

Pascal Bourgault

May 14, 2021, 1:31:36 PM5/14/21
to Discuss
Hi!

I am using globus through the cli to transfert file from a supercomputer to my organization's servers. Because of the remote working situation, the network is currently overloaded and I was asked by the IT manager to reduce or stop the transfers during work hours (like 9-17). Moreover, the machine I am moving the files to undergoes some special operations every night.

Has anyone in this group ever found a way to :
1. Schedule transfers so that they paused during a certain period and resume afterward.
or
2. Trigger a pause/resume of running transfers from the cli?
and / or
3. Throttle the bandwith used by a transfer, again using the cli?

Thanks a lot!
--
Pascal

Rudyard Richter

May 17, 2021, 2:20:17 PM5/17/21
to Discuss, pascal.b...@gmail.com
Hi Pascal,

While this may not precisely solve your predicament, you may wish to check out the Timer service we released to see if this helps you: https://pypi.org/project/globus-timer-cli/

This CLI would allow you to schedule transfers to recur at specific times, or even just to run single executions of transfers at a scheduled time. However, it is still an interface to Transfer, and Timer wouldn't specifically help for either pausing or throttling transfers. That said, I hope you might find it useful for this or other tasks.

Regards,
Rudyard

Wagner, Richard

May 17, 2021, 2:30:18 PM5/17/21
to Rudyard Richter, Discuss, pascal.b...@gmail.com
Hi Rudy,

The Console allows activity managers to set pause rules, which is also part of the endpoint management API. Is there a way to leverage this, perhaps with a cron job?

Or perhaps setting globus endpoint update --network-use minimal <uuid>?

—Rick

https://docs.globus.org/api/transfer/advanced_endpoint_management/#admin_pause_document

Rachana Ananthakrishnan

May 17, 2021, 2:41:43 PM5/17/21
to Wagner, Richard, Rudyard Richter, Discuss, pascal.b...@gmail.com
Thanks Rick, both those are good options, some pointers on those below:

Any one with endpoint manager or administrator role on the endpoint can pause/resume transfers. The API for that is documented here, https://docs.globus.org/api/transfer/advanced_endpoint_management/ and on the web app is it https://www.globus.org/app/console/tasks?status=active. We don’t have this supported in the Globus CLI yet.

Administrators can configure network use parameters, and the documentation on setting that is here: https://docs.globus.org/globus-connect-server/v4/#setting_endpoint_network_use_options. This configuration is for all users and all transfers.

Using the pause/resume feature might be best here, so the transfer can use the most available bandwidth when in progress, and pause during the day.

Rachana