Can't connect to new GCP endpoint

John Bollinger

Jun 1, 2022, 4:21:20 PM6/1/22
to Discuss
Hello group,

I am hoping to get some troubleshooting assistance with a new GlobusConnectPersonal endpoint.  I have one such endpoint working well, but the one that I attempted to help a colleague set up is refusing connections.

Some Details:

GlobusConnectPersonal 3.1.6 on CentOS Stream 8

The endpoint setup appeared to complete successfully, and we were able to see it in the Globus file manager, but when we try to connect to it we we get a connection failure, with this detail message:

"Globus Connect Message: The server may be too busy --- Details: an end-of-file was reached\nglobus_xio: The GSI XIO driver failed to establish a secure connection. The failure occured during a handshake read.\nglobus_xio: An end of file occurred\n"

By running the endpoint with the -debug option, I obtained the following output for one such connection attempt:

Starting relaytool
Connecting to server: relay.globusonline.org:2223
#gridftp 0
#relaytool connecting
[ssh stderr] Allocated port 45953 for remote forward to 127.0.0.1:45683
RELAYTOOL=1 status=CONNECTED ep_display_name=dmiller-personal web_ux_url=https%3A//app.globus.org
[ssh stderr] rpc succeeded after 1 attempts(s)
RELAYTOOL=1 status=IDLE
#gridftp 0
#relaytool connected
Got connection from ('127.0.0.1', 45326)
failed to parse from config file: []
GCP-3.1.6L
Sock fd: 5
[502861] Wed Jun  1 14:44:08 2022 :: GFork functionality not enabled.:
globus_gfork: GFork error: Env not set

[502861] Wed Jun  1 14:44:08 2022 :: No configuration file found.
[502861] Wed Jun  1 14:44:08 2022 :: Server started in inetd mode.
[502861] Wed Jun  1 14:44:08 2022 :: New connection from: localhost4.localdomain4:45326
[502861] Wed Jun  1 14:44:08 2022 :: Closed connection from localhost4.localdomain4:45326
event for pid 502861
rc=0
gridftp pid 502861 exited, rc=0
#gridftp 0
#relaytool connected
#gridftp 0
#relaytool connected
#gridftp 0
#relaytool connected

Does that give anyone an idea of what may have gone wrong?

Can anyone suggest a solution, or a direction for further troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance,

John Bollinger

Michael Link

Jun 1, 2022, 6:36:25 PM6/1/22
to John Bollinger, Discuss
Hi John,

That output suggests a problem parsing the config file at
~/.globusonline/lta/config-paths. Info on the format of that file is at
https://docs.globus.org/how-to/globus-connect-personal-linux/#config-paths

If you edited that file, ensure there are no extra blank lines. You can
also remove it and a default will be created at the next start.

Mike

John Bollinger

Jun 2, 2022, 2:33:45 PM6/2/22
to Discuss, ml...@globus.org, John Bollinger

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I had not modified any config files by hand, but I had added an access path via the File->Preferences panel in GCP's GUI.  When I checked, I found that the config-paths file did have a trailing blank line, but neither removing that line nor removing the whole file (restarting the endpoint after each attempt) resolved the issue.

Inasmuch as you suspect the configuration, is it possible that the issue is related to the user home directory (and thus the globusonline configuration) residing on an NFS filesystem?  Or with file permissions, which may be a little weird on the filesystem in question?

Michael Link

Jun 2, 2022, 7:13:21 PM6/2/22
to John Bollinger, Discuss
Hi John,

The trailing blank is the cause of the warning that I was focused on,
but otherwise not a problem.

I do recall an issue with a filesystem that squashed group permissions,
causing a failed permission check on some of the files in the config dir.

Try moving ~/.globusonline to a local filesystem and pointing to it when
starting GCP: ./globusconnectpersonal -dir /local/path

I'm hoping the move will preserve the correct permissions, but if not it
may be easiest to recreate the endpoint. In that case you can remove
the endpoint and ~/.globusonline, and then pass -dir /local/path before
-setup to create the new configuration in the desired path.

Mike