Endpoint permission Denied on MacOS

Feng Cheng

May 8, 2021, 1:00:04 AM5/8/21
to Discuss
Hi everyone,

I am trying to using globus-cli to do data transfer, but i found that i lost permission to send data into my mac. I tried to make a directory under my mac, and it also failed.
this is the code i used 'globus mkdir my-mac-endpoint:/test1234567' and i got the error as below:
HTTP status:      403
request_id:       PCImuxZZT
code:             EndpointPermissionDenied
message:
                  Denied by endpoint, Error (mkdir)
                  Endpoint: mbp_rice (...)
                  Server: Globus Connect
                  Command: MKD /test1234567
                  Message: Fatal FTP Response
                  ---
                  Details: 500 Path not allowed.\r\n

I have already set the directory to be writeable and it's strange because I can do the same work on globus website interface. Can anyone give me some hints?

thanks,

-Feng

Matt Snyder

May 11, 2021, 8:08:14 AM5/11/21
to Discuss, fc...@rice.edu
Hello Feng,

It looks like you are using a personal endpoint and are trying to create a directory at root.  Usually these default to the user's home directory (e.g., '/~/globus/').  I would take a look on the website interface (since you say you're already using that) and confirm the path.  You can also take a peek in config-paths to see what you are opening up to globus locally (cat ~/.globusonline/lta/config-paths)

Hope any of this helps,
-Matt

Stephen Rosen

May 13, 2021, 12:55:19 PM5/13/21
to Feng Cheng, Discuss
I think that what's happening in this case is that you're not specifying the path you really want.

`/test1234567` is an absolute path. Most probably, you don't want to create a directory in the root of your filesystem.
Perhaps you meant `test1234567` (no leading slash), to put the directory in your home directory?

For the most part, the way Globus treats paths is "pretty normal", so anything you learn or know about "absolute path vs relative path" is relevant. But maybe skip reading the wikipedia page on file paths -- it's full of exotic trivia!
The only special case is `/~/`, which is treated specially as meaning the endpoint's default directory. Out of the box, the default directory is your home directory, but it is configurable.

I hope that either you worked things out already or that this helps get you unblocked!
Best,
-Stephen