Keeping Globus Connect Personal running

Jimmy Dorff

Jul 27, 2021, 4:38:49 PM7/27/21
to dis...@globus.org
We have a lab Windows PC that collects data, which is shared out via GCP
with a Globus Plus account. We have a specific account for GCP and that
all works fine, as long as the GPC user remains logged in. However, this
lab is accustomed to having different users login to the Windows PC, so
keeping one account logged in is a problem.

Does anyone have experience with GCP and running it as a windows scheduled
task or a running as a windows service?

Michael Link

Jul 27, 2021, 6:02:51 PM7/27/21
to dis...@globus.org
Either method should work, but a scheduled task is probably easier and
won't require a 3rd party service wrapper.

You'd want to configure a task to start globus_connect_personal.exe at
startup, run as your GCP user, set to "whether user is logged on or
not". You should not need to store the user's password, but that may
depend on the version of Windows, or if it needs to access network
drives. Check the additional settings to ensure the task won't be
killed after a time limit.

Before that is set up, you can disable the GCP setting to start
automatically, otherwise it would complain that another instance is
running. Any configuration changes would require terminating the task
and running normally under your GCP account.

Mike