Cannot complete collection registration - error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1

BP_Emory

May 12, 2020, 12:34:15 PM5/12/20
to User Discuss
I'm trying to run globusconnectpersonal on a few Centos 7 systems (7.4.1708 & 7.5.1804)  and not having much luck.

I've downloaded the globusconnectperonal-3.1.0 package.  Unpacked it and try to run globusconnect.

The globusconnect personal window opens and I click on "Login".
This launches a web browser where I get a message "Login successful. Please continue in the Globus Connect Personal Setup window."

Back at the Globus Connect Personal Setup Window, I put in a collection name/description and click on "Save", which results in the following error window:

------------8<---Globus-Connect-Peronal-Output-Begin-Cut-Here---8<------------
Could not complete collection registration.

Error: ('relaytool setup failed'. CompletedProcess(args='/home/myusername/Downloads/globusconnectperonal-3.1.0/gt_amd64/bin/relaytool',returncode=127, stdout=b", stderr=b'/home/myusername/Downloads/globusconnectpersonal-3.1.0/gt_amd64/bin/relaytool: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory\n'))
------------8<---Globus-Connect-Peronal-Output-End-Cut-Here---8<------------

The "libcrypto.so" that is installed on these systems is 1.0.x and I have updated to the latest available via yum.  I'm not keen to download/compile/install openssl outside of the package management system.

I noticed that libcrypto.so.1.1 is included with the globusconnectpersonal package (in the gt_amd64/lib directory).  Is globusconnectpersonal supposed to be using this included version, and if so, why isn't it/what can I do to make it see this newer included libcrypto version?

BP

Stephen Rosen

May 12, 2020, 1:27:26 PM5/12/20
to User Discuss
Hi BP,

This is a bug on certain platforms in the most recent Globus Connect Personal release. We have a version to fix for this and a couple of other issues which we're working on right now, and which we should release in the next couple of days.
If you're able to wait for a fix, that's the easiest solution.

However, we should be able to work around this (though it's a little bit tricky).
The trouble is with setting the library paths for different parts of the application -- one tool needs that `gt_amd64/lib/` directory, and others need to avoid it.

What should work is to set the library path and run the setup command in pure command-line mode. The commands would be
    unset DISPLAY
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${PWD}/gt_amd64/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    export GCP_SUPPRESS_STDERR=1
    ./globusconnectpersonal -setup --no-gui

This should start a pure command-line flow, which will print a browser link and wait for input.
Do a login flow with that link, copy-paste the resulting code into the prompt, and you should be guided through the rest of the setup process.

After that is done, in a fresh terminal (i.e. discarding those environment variables), you should be able to run `./globusconnectpersonal` and have it start as desired.

I can explain why the above options are necessary if you're curious, but we're also including some improvements in the upcoming release to these behaviors.

Another option is to download the older version of Globus Connect Personal (v3.0.4).
We'd have to provide you a bit more instruction to do that, and I think it might be best to contact sup...@globus.org and we can work with you if that's the route you want to take.

Thanks & best,
-Stephen

BP_Emory

May 12, 2020, 3:48:45 PM5/12/20
to User Discuss
Thanks Stephen,
On my test system I was able to complete the process using your instructions with setting some variables and such.  I think we'll wait for the "fixed" version for the other systems though.  Thanks for getting back so quickly!

 ... Billy ...

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 1:27:26 PM UTC-4, Stephen Rosen wrote:
[...]

Stephen Rosen

May 13, 2020, 1:04:01 PM5/13/20
to User Discuss
Hi,

This is just a minor update to say that we've just released a new version of Globus Connect Personal, and it should fix these issues.
A CLI-only setup will now work (as intended) with simply
   globusconnectpersonal -setup --no-gui

but you should also see success now in the GUI setup, if you run without those options.

Please let us know right away if you still see problems with the latest version.

Thanks,
-Stephen