Message: Fatal FTP response

Xudong Wang

Jun 1, 2020, 4:38:07 PM6/1/20
to User Discuss
Hi all,

I am new to Globus.
I have successfully logged into my account, and launched the latest Globus connect personal. But I can not transfer any file from a endpoint shared with me, to my PC endpoint.
The error is copied below. I was wondering if any one can give some suggestions.

Error (transfer)
Endpoint: Bioplex (0419aacc-a1d3-11ea-9a3a-0255d23c44ef)
Server: Globus Connect
File: /~/archiveSummary.tsv
Command: STOR ~/archiveSummary.tsv
Message: Fatal FTP response
---
Details: 500-Command failed. : globus_xio: The GSI XIO driver failed to establish a connection via the underlying protocol.\r\n500-globus_xio: Unable to connect to 134.174.159.37:50004\r\n500-globus_xio: System error in connect: Unknown error\r\n500-globus_xio: A system call failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.\r\r\n500-\r\n500 End.\r\n

Thank you,
Xu-Dong

Stephen Rosen

Jun 1, 2020, 5:43:30 PM6/1/20
to User Discuss
Hi Xu-Dong,

The error means that the connection between the two endpoints couldn't be established successfully.
Since you're using Globus Connect Personal, we know the direction of the connection must have been

   Globus Connect Personal ---> Other Endpoint

It's saying that the two endpoints agreed to use port 50004 for data transfer, but the other endpoint didn't respond to the connection attempt.
There isn't really much more explanation than that available to us from the error.

We often see traffic blocked by firewall rules, so you may want to contact your network administrators if these endpoints are new, to ensure that the traffic is allowed.
(On a typical home network, you do not need to setup any special configuration to support Globus Connect Personal.)
Another easy explanation is that the other endpoint might be experiencing connectivity issues or other failures, in which case those would need to be resolved by its owner.

A few things you can try right off the bat:

  - Do a transfer between your Globus Connect Personal endpoint and the Globus Tutorial Endpoints
    Search for "Globus Tutorial" to find this. This lets you easily make sure your endpoint is working properly.

  - If there are network constraints, make sure you are connected in a way that will let you reach the other endpoint
    For example, if the other endpoint is on an intranet or behind a VPN, make sure you are connected.

  - Contact the owner of the other endpoint to ask about the issue
    Endpoints might have network issues, scheduled or unplanned maintenance, or any other of a wide variety of things that make servers fail.
    It might be best to reach out proactively, to make sure it's not a known failure which someone is working on (and to alert the owner if there is an issue).

  - If all else fails, open a support ticket with sup...@globus.org
    We're careful to avoid sharing too many details about particular endpoints and tasks on the public mailing lists.
    If you file a support ticket by contacting us at our support email, we're often better able to help you dig through specifics of a failure.

I hope that helps as a starting point, at least.

Best,
-Stephen
Message has been deleted