Scheduled Transfers?

Michael Winter

Jul 2, 2020, 11:08:44 AM7/2/20
to Developer Discuss
We have a desktop user with a request to schedule a transfer overnight when their limited bandwidth is free. Is there a way to do this or, alternatively, set a cap on how much bandwidth is used during a transfer?

Rachana Ananthakrishnan

Jul 2, 2020, 6:02:12 PM7/2/20
to develope...@globus.org
Globus doesn’t have an option to schedule transfers at this time. Most common method to do this is to use something like cron to submit transfer/sync tasks at a defined time and/or repeatedly. The Globus CLI is a good tool to use to submit the transfer. That said, we are exploring options for a service to support repeated/scheduled transfer, not defined release date on that yet.

On bandwidth usage, there isn’t an option in the service for limiting that. We have seem some administrators do this on managed deployments using options at the OS/kernel level. Unfortunately, no good suggestions for a desktop user.

Hopefully a timer task and the Globus CLI can meet this use case. If you have any further questions using the CLI or building some client side script/app for doing this, reach out to us here or on sup...@globus.org.  Some support materials below.

Rachana

Sample scripts that show use of CLI or the Python SDK: https://github.com/globus/automation-examples. cli-sync.sh shows a script that syncs two folders across endpoints.