Globus Connect Endpoint Python Error

M Jaya Siraj

Mar 1, 2020, 8:48:15 PM3/1/20
to Admin Discuss
Hello,

I'm trying to create a grid computation system with raspberry pi 3 clusters.
My lecturer said in the past he was able to create the system with globus toolkit, is it possible to use globus connect with raspberry pi 3 ?

I've tried to install it but got the following error when running the globusconnectclient.
```
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 163, in <module>
rc = main(code, server)
File "setup.py", line 149, in main
rc = contact_relay(code, server)
File "setup.py", line 112, in contact_relay
rc, sig, out, err = run_cmd(RELAYTOOL, [os.path.basename(RELAYTOOL)])
File "setup.py", line 83, in run_cmd
os.execl(cmd, *args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 314, in execl
execv(file, args)
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error
```

I'm still not sure whether it is possible to do this, thank you in advance.

Stephen Rosen

Mar 4, 2020, 6:28:26 PM3/4/20
to Admin Discuss
Hi,

The `run_cmd` function you see in the trace is a fairly thin wrapper over an `exec` call, so my guess would be that the detection for which version of the tools to use is failing in some way.

Could you provide the output from this command?
 $ getconf LONG_BIT

This is how Globus Connect Personal does platform detection. If it fails, I would expect RELAYTOOL to be something malformed, and for this later command to fail.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also modify the setup.py script to add some debug printing to look directly at the value for RELAYTOOL.
e.g. near the top of setup.py, when that value is set, just add
   print("RELAYTOOL=" + RELAYTOOL)

(Yes, this definitely should be doable in a cleaner way. But this way will work for today.)

A couple of additional notes on this, which might help:

> My lecturer said in the past he was able to create the system with globus toolkit, is it possible to use globus connect with raspberry pi 3 ?

Just to be clear, Globus Toolkit and Globus Connect Personal are very different.
If you're looking to create a grid compute environment, Globus Connect Personal may not be appropriate to your case.

> running the globusconnectclient.

Do you mean "globusconnectpersonal" or "globusconnect" (which are just aliases for one another) ?
I'm not familiar with a command named "globusconnectclient", though it's possible I've forgotten a past name for these.

Best,
-Stephen

Stephen Rosen

Mar 5, 2020, 1:26:33 PM3/5/20
to Admin Discuss
A member of our team reminded me today that Globus Connect Personal does not work on ARM devices.

Since the Pi architecture is ARM, this will not work (at least, not out of the box).
One idea we had was that you could use qemu to emulate an x86 environment on the Pi to run Globus Connect Personal. We haven't tried this, but it's a potential path forward if you want to give it a go.

Cheers,
-Stephen

M Jaya Siraj

Mar 5, 2020, 2:11:02 PM3/5/20
to Admin Discuss
Thank you for the answer, ill give an update after i try it

I see, thank you, i wasn't sure if its the same or not, i guess ill have to look for some other middleware.