Transfer multiple files in parallel

Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar

Mar 28, 2024, 12:44:01 PMMar 28
to Discuss
Hello,

I'm currently running a file transfer with globus cli in which 4 files are being transferred simultaneously, no matter how many CPUs I use. I wonder if I can increase the number of files in parallel.

My endpoint is a remote CentOS server. In a slurm interactive session with 16 CPUs I have `globusconnectpersonal -start` running. In a different session a submit the transfer request. I've played with the number of CPUs in both, but only four files are transferred.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you,
Vitor

John Bresnahan

Mar 28, 2024, 2:04:20 PMMar 28
to Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar, Discuss
Vitor,

Have you tried to alter the settings through the webapp? The link https://app.globus.org/file-manager/collections/<collection id>/servers/network will take you there. You can then select "custom" and there are a few options to work with including Max Concurrency.

John

Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar

Mar 28, 2024, 2:23:07 PMMar 28
to Discuss, jo...@globus.org, Discuss

Hi John,

thanks for pointing that out. You right that I have Maximum Concurrency set to 4.

Maybe that is because I'm using globus connect personal instead of the server version?

Thanks,
Vitor

Vas Vasiliadis

Mar 28, 2024, 3:26:15 PMMar 28
to Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar, Discuss, jo...@globus.org
Hi Vitor,

The network parameters can only be changed on a subscribed endpoint (both Personal and Server). Your institution has a subscription, so you can add your personal endpoint to that subscription. I will follow up privately with more details.

Thanks,
Vas

Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar

Mar 28, 2024, 3:50:56 PMMar 28
to Discuss, vvasi...@gmail.com, Discuss, jo...@globus.org, Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar
Thank you, John and Vas!

john kennedy

Apr 1, 2024, 5:52:27 AMApr 1
to Vitor Rezende Da Costa Aguiar, Discuss, vvasi...@gmail.com, jo...@globus.org
Hi Vitor,

The docs also indicate that concurrency/parallelism on both endpoints is considered.

"""
For a given transfer, the concurrency is calculated as the smallest value across the MaximumConcurrency values of both endpoints, and the maximum of the PreferredConcurrency of both endpoints. Parallelism is also calculated similarly, with an additional consideration for transfers with high latency (trans-oceanic transfers) where the parallelism is set to minimum of the Maximum Parallelism value set for both endpoints.
"""

Vas may have pointed this out in private communication but I thought I'd add a note here.

cheers
John