Web browser upload limits?

Patrick Gavin

Apr 25, 2024, 1:49:14 PMApr 25
to Discuss
We are having problems uploading larger files to our guest collection using the 'upload' button. Files under a gig work fine but larger files cause some kind of error and do not transfer. I'm not seeing anything in our GCS logs. Transferring larger files works if using GCP.

Is there some kind of limit as to what can be transferred with the 'upload' button?

Thanks,

-P

Richard Wagner

Apr 25, 2024, 2:13:54 PMApr 25
to Discuss, ps...@humboldt.edu
Hi Patrick,

The upload button is going to do an HTTP PUT to your server through Apache, at least for collections tied to a POSIX  storage gateway. (I’m not sure if Globus uses other HTTP servers for different Linux distributions.)

The upload will show up in the Apache logs, which on an Ubuntu instance is at
  /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log

If something went wrong, you’ll probably find a hint in the error.log file in the same directory.

I was able to upload a 5.5GB file from my Mac through Safari to a GCS DTN running on Ubuntu 22.04LTS. I have old memories of 2GB or similar limits on HTTP PUTs and GETs, which may not be accurate.

Hopefully this gets you looking in the right place for troubleshooting.

—Rick

Patrick Gavin

Apr 25, 2024, 2:41:10 PMApr 25
to Discuss
Hi Rick-

That was exactly it.

Thanks for your help!
Patrick Gavin (He/Him)
Systems Administrator
Central IT Systems & Services
Cal Poly Humboldt
Email: Patric...@humboldt.edu
This e-mail was written without the assistance of ChatGPT