How determine IDENTITY_OR_DOMAIN arg for CLI "globus session update"?

J. Lewis Muir

Apr 25, 2024, 4:57:18 PMApr 25
to Discuss
Hello!

I'm using Globus CLI, and sometimes when doing a "globus ls", it fails with a "Session reauthentication required" error like this:

----
The resource you are trying to access requires you to re-authenticate.
message: Session reauthentication required (Globus Transfer)

Please run:

    globus session update <arg>

to re-authenticate with the required identities.

----

where <arg> is a value that appears to be one or more space-separated domain names or host names specific to the collection being listed.  Of course, I can run that command by hand, and it makes the "globus ls" work, but I don't want the "globus ls" to fail in this way in the first place; I want to ensure that the "globus ls" will always work and only fail for reasons that are not related to authentication.  How do I determine an appropriate value for <arg> given only the collection UUID (or endpoint UUID) so that I can run the appropriate "globus session update <arg>" command before running "globus ls" so that I can guarantee that it won't fail with the "Session reauthentication required" error?

Or, is there some other way to avoid the "Session reauthentication required" error when I run "globus ls"?  For example, I tried adding "--force" to my "globus login" command, but it did not make the "globus ls" work; I still got the "Session reauthentication required" error.

Thank you!

Lewis

Lev Gorenstein

Apr 26, 2024, 6:23:40 PMApr 26
to J. Lewis Muir, Discuss
Lewis,

Paraphrasing the old saying, "it's not you, it's them".  The reauthentication timeout and permitted identity domains are defined *at the collection* - so it is the collection that asks you to re-auth, not Globus.

So realistically the only way out is to capture the 'globus ls' output and exit status, and tweak the script behavior.  Something along the lines of "if 'ls' failed, see if the output contains the necessary 'session update' string. If so, then extract it, run it, then repeat the 'ls'".

Lev

J. Lewis Muir

Apr 29, 2024, 12:06:20 PMApr 29
to Lev Gorenstein, Discuss
On 04/26, Lev Gorenstein wrote:
> Paraphrasing the old saying, "it's not you, it's them". The
> reauthentication timeout and permitted identity domains are defined *at the
> collection* - so it is the collection that asks you to re-auth, not Globus.
>
> So realistically the only way out is to capture the 'globus ls' output and
> exit status, and tweak the script behavior. Something along the lines of *"if
> 'ls' failed, see if the output contains the necessary 'session update'
> string. If so, then extract it, run it, then repeat the 'ls'"*.

Bummer. All right, well, thanks for the reply!

Lewis