Fwd: Law + Government | Career Can't Stop Won't Stop: Last Minute Ops for Days!

Undergrad Advising Global Studies

May 9, 2023, 6:29:20 PM5/9/23
to opport...@global.ucsb.edu

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Maya @ UCSB Career Services via Handshake <hand...@mail.joinhandshake.com>
Date: Tue, May 9, 2023 at 3:07 PM
Subject: Law + Government | Career Can't Stop Won't Stop: Last Minute Ops for Days!
To: <global-...@ucsb.edu>

Law + Government: Career Path Highlights

Peony

Dear Students,

Career Services isn't done connecting you with events, jobs, and information just yet. In fact, we never stop, even over summer! No, we don't get a summer break like you do, so keep checking in with us.

Keep reading for:
  • Info about Virtual Student Federal Service Internships that open in July
  • Who is attending our last Fair of the academic year that might appeal to you
  • The distinction between JD, LLM, and MSL
  • Some sweet opportunities I discovered on Handshake

Sincerely,
Maya
Career Counselors for Law + Government

UC Santa Barbara Career Services

Scroll for career tips, jobs, and events!

Save the Date: Virtual Student Federal Service Internships

White House

Virtual Internship. Real Experience.
The Virtual Student Federal Service connects the talents of U.S. citizen college students with the needs of federal agencies. Since 2009, more than 10,000 remote interns have advanced the work of the federal government. The time commitment is about 10 hours per week during the school year. There are opportunities for all, from data visualization to political analysis. Internships are unpaid but may be eligible for course credit. Speak with a guidance counselor regarding course credit requirements.

U.S. citizen high school graduates, from rising college freshmen through Ph.D. students, who are enrolled at least half-time (as defined by the school) in college during their application and participation are eligible. Because the program is virtual, students can intern from anywhere.

Students apply between July 1 and July 28 and may apply for up to three internships. A maximum of 300 U.S. citizen college students may apply to each internship project. Internship mentors select students in August. Internships begin in September and run for the duration of the academic year.

Learn More

Event calendar icon

Featured Events

Career Fair
2023 End of the Year Job + Internship Fair
May 17, 2023 • 1:00pm - 4:00pm PDT
41 employers attending

Featured Fair Employers Recommended for Law + Government
  • California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)
  • California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
  • County of San Luis Obispo
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Tax Exempt & Government Entities
  • Peace Corps
  • Superior Court of California, County of Santa Barbara
  • Santa Barbara Police Department
  •  State Water Resources Control Board
  • UCSB Police Department

View Events

JD, LLM, MSL...WTH?

Courtroom

I recently had a smart and inquisitive student ask about some of the above acronyms, which led me to a deep dive into additional legal careers besides practicing law as a lawyer and paralegal. Here's the scoop:

  • Juris Doctor (JD): The typical way to become a lawyer in the United States is to achieve an undergraduate degree, earn a JD, take the bar exam, and practice law.
  • Master of Laws (LLM): In many other countries, a law degree is an undergraduate accomplishment. An LLM is typically for international students who want to achieve a deeper, master's-level understanding of the U.S. legal system. LLM may also be appropriate for JD graduates to specialize their law practice area.
  • Master of Studies in Law (MSL): Many folks want to work in the field of law without being a practicing attorney. The MSL is a way for professionals in a variety of fields that require legal information to further gain legal knowledge. For example, folks who work in compliance, healthcare, business, entertainment, and paralegal roles may benefit from an MSL.

Learn More

Briefcase icon

Job & Internship Postings

Recent postings related to Law + Government

Job
U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services Student Intern
US District Court and the Probation and Pretrial Services Office • Los Angeles, CA and 2 more
Seasonal Part-Time Internship • Apply by May 12th 2023
Job
Corporate Responsibility Intern
Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco • San Francisco, CA
Seasonal Full-Time Internship • Apply by May 12th 2023
Job
Talent Acquisition Analyst (Recruiter)
California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) • Sacramento, CA and 1 more
Full-Time Job • Apply by May 18th 2023
Job
Regulatory Analyst - JC 369037 (SF Listing)
California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) • San Francisco, CA
Full-Time Job • Apply by May 22nd 2023

View Postings

Job postings and employer announcements are made without endorsement, direct or implied, by Career Services or UCSB. Career Services educates students about various opportunities and ensures equity of access to campus recruiting activities for all employers who abide by our Employer Policies. Individual students are encouraged to determine which employers align with their diverse talents, values, and interests. We encourage all students to review our policies, identify employment scams, and reply to this email with any questions.

To continue receiving these emails, update your Career Interests in Handshake and check the the box for Law + Government in the Career Path question. You can also view our past Email Archive!

This email is being sent to there at University of California, Santa Barbara.
UnsubscribeUpdate preferences
P.O. Box 40770, San Francisco, CA 94140

--
Global Studies Undergraduate Advising Team
Meghan Zero + Taylor Ross + Undergraduate Peer Advisors

UC Santa Barbara