Fwd: This Week @ Career | Recruitment Events

Undergrad Advising Global Studies

May 9, 2023, 1:24:53 PM5/9/23
to opport...@global.ucsb.edu

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: UCSB Career Services via Handshake <hand...@mail.joinhandshake.com>
Date: Sun, May 7, 2023 at 7:08 PM
Subject: This Week @ Career | Recruitment Events
To: <tr...@ucsb.edu>

This Week at Career

Happy Week 6, Gauchos! This week at Career Services, we want to highlight networking opportunities and our upcoming End of the Year Job + Internship Fair.

Stop by the Networking in the 805 Mixer to meet hiring employers and professionals in your desired industry to gain insight into their experiences and lifestyle. Please note that there was an error with the original event registration on Handshake, however, those who are still interested in attending can now register for this event.

Additionally, don't miss out on attending our End of the Year Job + Internship Fair! Read on to learn more. We look forward to seeing you all participate!

UC Santa Barbara Career Services

Scroll for events and announcements

End of the Year Job + Internship Fair

Summer is growing near, and the End of the Year Job Fair is here! To help you fulfill your career goals over summer break, this one-day event offers you an additional opportunity to connect with employers hiring for part-time and full-time positions, in an exclusive and in-person space for UCSB students.

This event offers an interactive space to communicate 1-on-1 with employer representatives, and there will be no pre-scheduled sessions or employer appointments required. Simply take a look at the list of employers on Handshake and check your email for tips from us to prepare in advance.

Volunteer with Career (End of the Year Job Fair)
Looking for an opportunity to volunteer on campus this Spring? Log some community service hours by signing up to volunteer for the End of the Year Job + Internship Fair! Volunteer shifts are open from 11am–5pm and include event set up and clean up, working with and assisting students and employers! All volunteer shifts are hourly. The application deadline is Wednesday, May 10 at 12pm and may close earlier if spots fill up. Signups are HERE!

Register Here!

Event calendar icon

Additional Events

CAREER EDUCATION EVENTS

Exploring Majors
Learn strategies on how to navigate major selection and discover career options.
When: Tuesday, May 9 | 11am – 12pm
Where: Career Resource Room (CRR)
Recommended for: All Career Paths

Nature Walk Journaling: Finding Yourself in Your Career
Exploring your values, opinions, and personality traits through writing can teach you more about who you are as a person. In this workshop, we will focus on strategies for exploring different fields of interest, and strategies for reflecting on your skills! We’ll start by taking a short walk to ease our minds (while we take in the beautiful surroundings), find a quiet space to write, then work on some reflective prompts. Feel free to bring your personal journals, though journals and writing tools will be provided.
When: Tuesday, May 9 | 12:30pm – 1:30pm
Where: Student Resources Building (SRB)
Recommended for: All Career Paths

Managing Anxiety over What’s Next?: Exploring Job Opportunities
Are you feeling anxious about job searching? Graduating soon and not sure how to begin? Join Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Career Services for a group workshop focused on how to deal with the anxiety over the job search process.
In this group, we will review and discuss strategies on how to cope with anxious feelings in a healthy way and how to effectively search for jobs.
When: Tuesday, May 9 | 5pm – 6pm
Where: Room 1109 - Career Services
Recommended for: All Career Paths

OTHER EVENTS BY CAREER INTEREST

Click the links below to access 60+ upcoming events this quarter through the UCSB employer network on Handshake. Filter by your interests to find information sessions with organizations such as Bain & Company, Defense Intelligence Agency, Tech Talent & Strategy, and MANY more.

SPRING 2023 EVENTS CALENDAR

Check out our Spring 2023 Events Calendar for a comprehensive list of fairs, recruitment events, special guests, and workshops hosted by Career Services this quarter!

Alumni Spotlight: Christine Choi

Christine Choi, B.A. Asian American Studies, 2020
Meet alum Christine! She graduated in 2020 with her Bachelor of Arts in Asian American Studies with Minors in Educational Studies and Applied Psychology. You can find Christine on campus at the Asian Resource Center as one of the counselors for EOP!

Describe a day in your current position.
Half of my time I serve as a Counselor within EOP so in my day-to-day I meet with students in advising appointments concerning academics, personal, financial, and post-graduation/graduate school questions. I also spend time meeting with my colleagues in counselor or all-staff meetings, in our committee meetings, and 1:1s with my supervisor.
The other half of my position is as the Coordinator of the Asian Resource Center on-campus. I spend time with my wonderful Peer Advisors of the ARC in team meetings and 1:1s, planning and executing events for the center like Lunar New Year, APIDA Graduation, Study Jams, and collaborations with other departments. I also serve as a counselor and resource to all APIDA identified students.

Describe your most valuable college experience that has helped you in your career.
My experience as a Resident Assistant in Santa Cruz for two years and as a Campus Tour Guide in the Office of Admissions helped me gain the proper understanding of the functional areas and gain skills such as: conflict resolution, community building, public speaking, and marketing! Another opportunity that was extremely valuable specifically to my field was being a NUFP Mentee. Through this program as a first-gen student, I was paired with a mentor in the field of Student Affairs as well as given the opportunity to attend the NASPA Regional Conference where I've made even more connections with future colleagues and mentors. My mentor from NUFP continues to be such an amazing resource, friend, and support system (shout out to the amazing AVC Dr. Lupe Navarro Garcia <3)

What advice do you have for current students?
Utilize all the amazing resources that UCSB offers you. Schedule advising appointments, utilize the Career Services office and take different assessments or workshops, study abroad if you're able, apply for that campus leadership position. UCSB is such a unique place and I have it to thank for all of my current success in my field because of the resources that UCSB offers students. Don't be afraid to take a course or pursue a major that doesn't have a "traditional" career path attached to it. Majoring in Asian American Studies was the greatest decision I made in college and I still call it a home on campus with the most amazing faculty and staff supporting it, as well as all of the lifelong friends I made through the department.

Job postings and employer announcements are made without endorsement, direct or implied, by Career Services or UCSB. Career Services educates students about various opportunities and ensures equity of access to campus recruiting activities for all employers who abide by our Employer Policies. Individual students are encouraged to determine which employers align with their diverse talents, values, and interests. We encourage all students to review our policies, learn how to identify employment scams, and reply to this email with any questions.

This email is being sent to Taylor Ross at University of California, Santa Barbara.
UnsubscribeUpdate preferences
P.O. Box 40770, San Francisco, CA 94140

--
Global Studies Undergraduate Advising Team
Meghan Zero + Taylor Ross + Undergraduate Peer Advisors

UC Santa Barbara